Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

D.V.D. player stopped working

• Please log in to reply

lostock

lostock

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi. can anybody please help ? I'm running windows x.p. 2000, suddenly, for no apparent reason, windows media player won't play any D.V.D'S. an error message appears, saying, "windows media player can't play d.v.d. try adjust "display settings" or "screen resolution" I've tried this, but no difference, I've also tried removing windows media player 11, and running version 10, but still no difference..can anybody help please...?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
See, if VLC Player will work: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

lostock

lostock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi. Brori, thanks for info. have downloaded V.L.C. but unfortunately still no luck, it will play c.d's. but not d.v.d's. thanks, lostock.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You sure, your drive can play DVDs?

lostock

lostock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi. yes it's been able to play d.v.d's. in the past, I had a problem a couple of weeks ago with pop ups freezing the screen, one of your members was kind enough to help me cure it, by cleansing my p.c. & downloading super spyware, you don't suppose this has effected it in any way, do you ? sorry to sound so dumb, but I'm not very computer literate. regards, lostock.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go here: http://www.codecguid...download_kl.htm
Download and install the Full Codec Pack.
I don't really think that codecs are the problem here since even VLC can't play your DVDs... what error does it give?

Also try this...
Go to Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow
Let the process complete, and if it prompts you for a Windows CD, pop one in.

If you don't have a CD, then try the registry fix here: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html
Reboot and run SFC again.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I don't really think that codecs are the problem here since even VLC can't play your DVDs.

That's it.
I suspect, the drive is simply dying.

lostock

lostock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks Brori, I feel you may be right, time to replace I think. many thanks, lostock.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I just want to confirm that the drive is the problem here...

Try playing DVDs on another OS.
Go here: https://sites.google...without-windows
Follow the instructions to burn a Ubuntu Live CD... then boot from it.
Go here for a tutorial for playing DVDs on Ubuntu Linux: http://www.debuntu.o...er-ubuntu-linux
Or you can also use VLC: http://www.videolan....oad-ubuntu.html

lostock

lostock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi. thank you very much, I tried the option that asked me to insert the windows c.d. & thankfully it seems to be working, BUT, as I've just found out, not every occasion. but enough to keep my wife happy. many thanks, lostock.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right then! :)
You might still want to consider getting a new optical drive. If the problems keep on getting more frequent with the old drive, you should replace it... they are cheap enough ~25$ for one.

lostock

lostock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
edge2022, thanks for info. maybe slightly more than $25 over here though, however my p.c. is now getting on for 6 year's old, do you think it's worth it ? or maybe just invest in new system ? thanks for your interest. regards, lostock.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It depends on how much you have to spend, and if you are content with your computer. What do you usually do on your computer, and if you were to buy a computer, how much would you spend?

lostock

lostock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi. to be honest with you, we do very little on the p.c. we are both retired, my wife uses it the most, as she is heavily into crafting & cardmaking, hence needing the d.v.d. player for all the discs she uses. whenever the grandchildren come over, they use it for facebook, M.S.N. etc. etc. I've been shopping around lately, and have been offered for Ł559.00, dual core processor, 500 g.b. hard drive, 3g.b. memory, d.v.d. r.w. drive, 256 g.b. geforce, 8400 graphics, 19''monitor, vista, none of it means anything to me..... regards, lostock.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Hi Lostock, that's about average price for a system of that nature.
However if you are sure you want to go for a new machine instead of trying to keep the old one going, why not wait a couple more months, and get a system with Windows 7 on it. Maybe even wait till after Christmas, as some dealers may even drop lower than that in the usual sales.
Nev.