Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Won't Boot With Two RAM Sticks Installed

• Please log in to reply

derdy

derdy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just bought a second stick of 1GB DDR PC2700 RAM to match my other stick of RAM already in my PC. I was hoping to get the DDR by adding this second stick. However, when I put the new stick in the second memory slot windows throws an error message that says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupted
\Windows\System32\Config\System

It suggests to use the XP disk to do a repair. I attempted this and when I did it says "Setup is now inspecting your hardware" or something very close to that, and then goes to a blank screen not the blue screen you would expect.

I took the memory out of the second slot (slot 1), it boots up fine. I took the old memory out of slot 0 and put the new one in and it boots fine.

When I have both memory sticks in they are both registering in BIOS. The memory sticks are the same make and model.

Has anyone seen something like this before?

TIA

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Second memory slot on the board is defective.
If the new stick was faulty the system wouldn't have booted with it on the first slot.

Only resolution if the slot is faulty is a new board.

derdy

derdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That's what I was thinking, but hoping wasn't true. Well, this sucks!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

How many memory slots do you have and are they color coded?

Murray

derdy

derdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have 3 memory slots and they are not color coded. It's an Asus A7V8X-X Rev 1.xx MoBo. Here's a pic:

http://lapcs.no.sapo...usa7v8xx_sm.jpg

derdy

derdy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I also took the old memory stick and put it in slot number two while the new one was in slot number one. I didn't write down the error message but it said something like, "firmware not found" and then the screen turned pink with grey capital T's running across the entirety of the screen.

Anyways, I put a bid on ebay for the same MoBo and verified with the seller that all the memory slots work.

Think I'm about ready to turn this PC into a file/intranet web server and go get the latest and greatest for my personal PC.

Edited by derdy, 10 August 2009 - 08:40 PM.