Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Professional fixing hal.dll error

• Please log in to reply

dzsoul

dzsoul

• Pip
  • 6 posts
guys I also have this error on my acer aspire one running windows xp, i've tried replacing hal.dll using the recovery console, replacing ntdetect, ntldr, ntoskrnl.exe or even trying to fix the boot.ini but no luck. also tried chkdsk /r on recovery console. even the "fixboot" command....still no luck.

as i've tried to use the bootcfg /rebuild, it only resulted to having many OS to choose when i try to start windows because i keep on trying. i also noticed that after entering the command, it finds 2 windows installs. on the 1st window install, i said yes then entered the OS loader, blabla. and when i choose this OS on OS selection, i get hal.dll error. but if i said yes to the 2nd windows install, and try it on OS selection, i get another error which long, i think it was hardware problem or boot error.

thus, the 1st windows install found must be the correct one because BEFORE i tried /rebuild on recovery console, when i am immediately directed to the default windows and no OS selection yet, i have this hal.dll error.

So what i'm thinking now is repair but the problem is, when i boot the cd, i have to click ENTER. but after that, i don't receive terms of agreement nor the part where i can click R. I am directed to the part where I can delete partition or install windows on that certain partition.

I think i really have the full package of windows xp CD, coz when i place it on the other computer it reads as VRMPFPP_EN which implies Windows XP SP2 retail full package, right? Or am i using the wrong disk?

i'd also like to add that i use USB to enter windows xp setup because i don't have CD/DVD drive on my acer aspire one. i used this method: http://www.scartech....l-flash-device/

I really don't want to format because i have important files stored in my aspire one in the my documents and some on the desktop.

Thanks a lot. :)

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :)

Have you tried a system restore using the Recovery Console?

Google search for how to do this

dzsoul

dzsoul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
EDITED: update on next post.

thanks alot! :)

Edited by dzsoul, 11 August 2009 - 06:39 AM.

dzsoul

dzsoul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yep, tried it, still i have this error....[bleep]...what on earth is happening?
i've even tried the date when it was still fine, still no luck...

anyways, im think im coming back to repairing my windows. how come on earth am i not getting any terms of agreement after clicking ENTER on setup and don't have the option to press R for repair on windows? Since i am directed to the partitions...

Edited by dzsoul, 11 August 2009 - 06:43 AM.