Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Your System is Infected" wallpaper

• Please log in to reply

zx670

zx670

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum. I was searching for information on help to get rid of some recent virus infections I seemed to get and came across a few topics on this forum. Any help in how to get rid of the infections would be greatly appreciated.

My issue started a few days ago when I turned my monitor on to find a message that my Windows Firewall was turned off and I had a few windows open telling me they were virus removal software and to click and run their scan. I know better than that so I ended them all, turned on the firewall and at this point I had to go to work so shut the pc off.

After work I tried to boot up in safe mode to no avail, the boot up sticks on a mup.sys file and restarts the PC. So I started in regular mode, attempted to update my virus removal software quickly, shut off the internet and began scans. I ran the scans a few times, AGV, Ad-Aware and Spybot. After this I finally got rid of most of the pop ups telling me they were virus removal. The only thing I can notice that's left is my desktop is stuck on a blue screen with a black box reading "Your System is Infected." I am sure I still have some viruses on my PC so I want to clean the entire thing and hopefully learn a bit about keeping this from happening again. Thanks for reading.

Edited by zx670, 11 August 2009 - 06:55 PM.

Advertisements

zx670

zx670

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Anyone?

Also, I'm having a problem running any online virus scanners. I've tried Panda, bitdefender and Trend Micro Housecall, they all seem to freeze up or run so slowly it would take 24 hrs + to complete. For Panda, I ran it last evening starting at around 6pm, it got up to 29% quickly then bogged down completely. By the time I woke up for work this morning, it was only at 79%. Any hints as to what might get these working properly so I can get a separate scan of my machine, AVG doesn't seem to be catching everything.

Thanks.

Edited by zx670, 11 August 2009 - 06:43 PM.