Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 0xc0000142

• Please log in to reply

ExC

ExC

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
My neighbour asked if I could fix this problem, but I couldn't find the solution.

The problem is as follows:

When starting up Windows XP Pro (SP2), the error window occurs:

Application explorer.exe failed to initialize and needs to close (0xc0000142).

Then there's just blank black screen (desktop fails to start). I managed to run explorer.exe through Task Manager, also in Safe Mode everything works fine. I tried a couple related solutions on this forums, as well as from other places, also did full scan with Symantec Corporate Edition, CHKDSK doesn't show any problem, removed/repaired all suspicious things HijackThis showed and uninstalled all programs which (in my opinion) could be causing this. Didn't help...

Edit:HJT log removed

Thanks for help :)

Edited by dsenette, 13 August 2009 - 08:51 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi ExC...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
while in safe mode check the device manager for any yellow ! or ?..or any red X's...
did they add any new hardware or software just prior to the problem starting ...
what about updating drivers or software or windows update...
did you try system restore yet...
BTW ...you can't post any malware logs in this or any other forum EXCEPT the malware forums..