Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no sound

• Please log in to reply

tybee

tybee

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I recently upgraded my wife's computer and then put her old mobo and board components into an old case with some legacy components including a 120gb hdd with XP home. Everything works just fine with exception of sound; got none except case beeper. I've checked all the sound items in Control Panel and DXDIAG, also went through all the troubleshooting procedures offered by XP including and everything says it's ok but there is still no sound. The mobo is an ABIT NF7-S with onboard audio and have loaded the drivers from the CD that came with it. I checked the speakers (desktop style stereo) and they work fine on another computer. I have an old Sound Blaster Live audio card that I stuck in there to see if I could bypass the onboard audio which didn't help but I feel that that may have confused things. So I thought I'd stop there and send up an SOS.

Any help would sure be appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

Check speaker connection to back of system
Check volume control in windows by doing the following:
Go to Start and The Run
Type in sndvol32.exe and press Enter
Make sure Master Volume is not muted and turned up
Check Cd Player volume is not muted and turned up

tybee

tybee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the help. DEVMGMT showed no yellow !s nor red xs and SNDVOL showed that two of the vols were down about 1/2 way but nothing was muted. I ran the vols to max. Still no sound.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Control Panel then to Sounds and Audio Devices
Click on the Audio Tab at the top of the window
In the Default device what does it say?
Click on the Voice Tab at the top of the window
In the Default device what does it say?

tybee

tybee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Both are nForceTMaudio.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Repeat the previous steps I gave and under Audio tab at the bottom there should be a button for Speakers
Make sure you have at least Desktop speakers chosen or something better.

tybee

tybee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Desktop speakers were selected.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This may sound strange but have you tried to play a song and checking the speaker connection on the back switching it to each of the connectors?
There are several connectors on the back.
Audio connectors (Front Speaker, Line-in, Mic-in, Center/Sub, Surround Speaker)

tybee

tybee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
What I tried:
I ran dxdiag using the synthesizer test music and then moved the speaker jack to each of the output jacks that you mentioned... still no sound. I then put a Santana cd in and repeated the procedure. Still no sound. My case is old and does not have FP audio jacks so I could not test the FP audio header.

As I mentioned earlier, I have an old SB Live audio card (PCI). Is there any troubleshooting benefit there? As I also mentioned, before I contacted GTG, I stuck that card in and got no results however I have no confidence that I did a proper setup.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
As this is an old motherboard, it's possible the onboard sound is faulty and no longer works. Just a thought to consider.

For the old SoundBlaster Live card, do you know if it works? While it's highly unlikely, it just might be that both are faulty.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have to agree with Troy and his diagnosis that it is possible that both cards do not work.
Even without drivers the SB Live card should work.
I have one in several Win 98 systems i have laying around and they worked without loading drivers.
The benefit of the drivers is to give it more functionality.
I would say invest in a cheap soundcard for about 15 to 20 dollars and everything should be fine.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
If you have another system around you could test the old sound card in it first. This would give better confirmation as to one possibility being true or not.

tybee

tybee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have an old gateway and used it to check the SB Live card. It played a cd just fine. I ran the music tests on dxdiag and the results were ok. Then I went to control panel and checked for computer sounds and was told that the card was already in use or something like that.

Before that I tried updating the abit drivers from the abit website and must have made a big mistake because now I can't boot the computer into windows. It gives me full screen error message and stays in a constant reboot loop. I shut it down for now because I have to go out of town for the weekend and won't be back until Monday. What is the best way to remove the obviously incorrect drivers that I installed and get it back to square one??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I wonder if it could be a bad PCI slot Troy?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
It does sound possible. Is there another free PCI slot to try? Is there another PCI card to use for testing (like an old dial-up modem or something)?