Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thunderstorm = Internet shows connected but nothing works

• Please log in to reply

Surrender

Surrender

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yep... there was a thunderstorm this morning, power went out, came back up in less than 30 seconds.
Go check my laptop, shows connection, but nothing works, no browsing or anything that requires an internet connection, didn't work.
This is not the first time this has happened, and I have no idea how to fix it.. The previous times you don't wanna know how many people ive talked to over the phone, from my router manufacturer, to my computer manufacturer to my ISP to my modem manufacturer, multiple people, turns out the only way they would fix it is for $250, forget that.

How am I on the internet right now? I have my modem directly connected to my computer, therefore I get internet. When it's connected to my router, I get nothing, It picks it up, but again.. Nothing works.

Anyways I need help.. Ive restarted modem and router multiple times, done power cycles, everything..

Advertisements

Surrender

Surrender

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Bump!
Back again, it wasn't even a thunderstorm today.
It was nice day outside, sunny, hot.. then BAM out of the blue a power flicker.
GUESS WHAT? There goes my internet, and its not coming back!

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Is it your modem and router?
Giving you problems?

Have you tried getting a newer model.
Cause like....Modems are way old.

Also try updating your drivers

8D

Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi could you please provide me your network setup:

ISP NAME:
MODEM BRAND:
ROUTER BRAND and MODEL NUMBER:
NUMBER OF COMPUTERS AND THEIR OPERATING SYSTEM:
ROUTER LIGHTS (AND THEIR COLOR) - once you put your router back on the connection.

Edited by Mr.Friend, 04 September 2009 - 02:59 PM.