Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent problem

• Please log in to reply

Page59

Page59

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I'm new to this so here goes, I am a novice when it comes to computers and I stupidly altered a few things. Basically my laptop is stuck in safe mode. The operating system (windows vista home basic) was already installed. According to the booklet supplied, if I press F8 I enter 'Advanced Boot Options'. On doing this a list of options appears. From this list it says to choose 'Repair Your Computer' this option is not listed! The only way I can use the system is if I select 'Directory Service Restore Mode'. Once the system has started I am able to use the internet ok, but have some difficulty accessing files. I am also unable to use my printer so have somehow effected some Drivers apparently. I didn't receive a disc with the system. Have tried the Backup disc Tech Guys Backup but no joy. Can anyone help to sort this for me? Is there anyway I could run system recovery from the hard drive. Be eternally grateful, and please make it easy enough for an idiot like myself to understand.
Thanks
Page59.

Advertisements

SalomonXM

SalomonXM

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Page59,

Some Computers (such as HP) now do not include Recovery Disc with the computers they sell; however, there is a way for you to create this Recovery Disc. Please refer to the manual on how to create it.

For HP Desktops/Laptops: Start -> All Programs -> Recovery Manager -> Recovery Disc Creation.

You will require a blank DVD Disc to create the Recovery Disc. It will take 10-30 minutes to burn this Disc; so grab a coffee or watch some TV while you wait for the Disc to create.

If you are unable to figure out how to create/locate the Recovery Disc, in your reply, please state what Laptop Make and Model you have so I can help you search for it.

Edited by SalomonXM, 12 August 2009 - 04:54 AM.

Page59

Page59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for response Salomon XM. Have had no luck, doesn't show when clicking on all programmes. The laptop I have is only a cheap one, E-System El 3103. Any help to solve this problem will be great.
Page 59.

SalomonXM

SalomonXM

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Page59,

Have you tried using the System Restore function that Windows Vista has? You can access the System Restore by Control Panel -> Backup and Restore Center and trying to restore to a date prior to your mishap.

You have said you tried both the following methods with no luck, correct?
What happens when you tried to create the Recovery DVD?
What is listed when you Press F8 on Computer Startup?

Page59

Page59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks again Salomon XM. When I press F8 all that is listed is:
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt

Enable boot logging
Enable low resolution video(640x480)
Last known good configuration (Advanced)
Directory services restore mode
Debugging mode
Disable automatic start up on system failure
Disable driver signature enforcement

Start windows normally.

I have tried all of the list and the only one that allows me to use the system with the internet is Directory services restore mode.
I have also tried Restore mode but can only restore it to a previous date when this problem had happened.
No joy with Tech Guys applications either. The silly thing is that I got myself into this situation but I can't remember how or I could reverse my actions. Thanks for any help mate.