Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building a gaming pc

• Please log in to reply

stejens

stejens

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey guys,

I was reading through the pc building pages and it seems pretty straight forward to build it as long as the correct parts are got, but that is where the problem is for me as i would have no idea what is compatible with stuff etc, which is where i hope i can get some help on that.
Also with a budget of £250, would that be enough to build a decent gaming machine? does not have to be a super computer, just enough to play games online like WoW etc.

Advertisements

SalomonXM

SalomonXM

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi stejens,

It is pretty easy to build a computer, by looking at the specifications of the hardware, you can determine if they are compatible with each other. I will use the Misco.co.uk in reference to this post.

Please note you require the following components to build a computer:
  • Computer Processor
  • Motherboard
  • RAM Memory
  • Hard Drive
  • Optical Drive (DVD Reader/Burner)
  • Video Card
    • Not Necessary if Motherboard has it built-in
    • If you intend to game, the built-in video card is not sufficient
  • Sound Card (not necessary if Motherboard has it built-in)
  • Computer Case & Power Supply
  • Monitor (not necessary if you have one already)
  • Keyboard & Mouse (not necessary if you have one already)
First you need to choose a Computer Processor ; per say you choose a Intel Core 2 Duo E7500; the information on the page says "Processor Socket - LGA775 Socket".

Now we need to select a motherboard that is compatible; so we go to Motherboard Choices; it will show a list of motherboards, on the left you can select Motherboards by Sub-categories. We will select "Intel Socket LGA775 Boards" as that is what the Processor we chose earlier supports. For this we'll choose the Gigabyte EP31-DS3L socket LGA775 motherboard. The details on the page say "Compatible Processors - Pentium Extreme Edition, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, Pentium Dual Core, Celeron 400 sequence, Celeron Dual Core" and "Processor 0 ( 1 ) - LGA775 Socket". This matches the Computer Processor we chose earlier.

The motherboard will also tell you that the supported RAM is "Supported RAM Technology - DDR2 SDRAM". So you will need to search Misco.co.uk for DDR2 Desktop Memory (not SO-DIMM). RAM can be found on the Misco site at RAM Selection. Choose Desktop Memory on the left then DDR2 Memory on the page reload. Now choose what RAM Configuration you want, do you want 1GB or 2GB etc. All the RAM located here will be supported by the Motherboard.

Please note you do not require a Sound Card or Network Card as the Motherboard has both these built in. You can tell this by the Motherboard summary which says "Audio Output Sound card - 7.1 channel surround" and "Networking: Network adapter - Realtek RTL8111B - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet".

Now you will need to find a Hard Drive, Video Card, Power Supply & Computer Case, Optical Drive (DVD Reader/Burner), and any other things you would like to add.

250 British Pounds may be not enough; however, this all depends on what components you chose.

Here is a guide on howto build a computer: Build Your Own Computer