Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive size

• Please log in to reply

lokikoli

lokikoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
the drive is probably close to a year old and i bought it from a store called tölvu tek in iceland where i live :)

not sure about the warranty, could be but i don't even know where my receipt is :/

i could probably test the disk on another computer but i already have tested it on two different windows xp installs from two different cd's

i partitioned it by booting up on a windows xp disk, deleted the former partition and created another one with only the 7.45 gig for partition space

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That's not good if there is only one partition and that is all it says is on the drive.
We could run diagnostics on it but that would require you know exactly which drive letter it is.
The other question I have is the E drive is showing as the Master drive and the drive in questions is marked as C
Was this done intentionally?
Does the system boot with the E drive as master?

Is this the only SATA drive in the system and does everything else work correctly?

lokikoli

lokikoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hmmm i did not intentionally choose E as the master drive but i have been changing the boot order so it could well be that i boot from E but i think i boot from the sata drive .

yeah its the only sata hard drive in the computer that is connected and i haven't had any hardware problems but did have loads of viruses wich were really tricky and ultimately made me format my drives and reinstall windows but no problems now.

and ive been thinking about this problem all night and i remembered that waay back when i bought the drive i made 2 partitions when i was installing windows . one for only the windows install wich was about 10 gig and another for the rest . I think the problem then happened when i did a format and reinstalled everything then it was like one of the partition on the sata drive disappeared and after that i only had the 10 gig partition .

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm at a lost here because even if that you had setup a 10 gig partition then there should still be a 220 gig unallocated partition sitting there.
That is MIA and that is not a good sign at all.
Can you boot to that drive?
Try disconnecting the other drive completely so that only the SATA drive is showing.
Then do the steps below again

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and then click Enter
A new window will open.
On the LEFT click on Disk Management
On the right make sure the window is expanded to see the complete drive space.
What you should see should look like the picture below.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

lokikoli

lokikoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok heres the screenshot when i only have the sata disk connected

Attached Thumbnails

• scrsht.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HMM, this is really strange.
This disk before did show 500 gigs?
If not then this may be a faulty drive.
If it did then my bet is that the drive has failed in some way.

Try the following.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

lokikoli

lokikoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
just did the chkdsk /r scan and restarted . i didnt see if it caught any errors but the hard drive is the same with the 10 gigs

and the drive was 500 gb when i first bought it . with the two partitions one 10 gb and the other like 470 something and then when i formatted the drive i could only make a partition equal to the size of that 10 gb one :/ , kinda strange if you ask me :)

Edited by lokikoli, 13 August 2009 - 07:47 AM.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
just a thought, but try this,

download system rescue linux

http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

(use the 'direct download url' as in the piccy)

burn it to cd

leave the cd in the tray and reboot your pc

at the first boot prompt type
rescuecd docache
then press enter

press enter at the next prompt

at the next prompt type
startx

once its finished loading, manually take the cd out

double click on the 4th down icon on the right - looks like a penguin in a monitor

type
fdisk -l

let us know if its detected your drives and whether it states one is 500gb (you will have to be in windows for this as there will be no network configured)

X out of the terminal,

double click the icon again and type
reboot

you will boot back into windows

Attached Thumbnails

• snapshot1.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think we are dealing with a bad HD then.
Not sure why it only shows the 10 gigs and no other unallocated space.
If the drive is only a year old it should still be under warranty with the manufacturer.
Who is the manufacturer:
Seagate
Western Digital
Maxtor
Fujitsu

I can find their RMA page for you.

lokikoli

lokikoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
manufacturer is Western Digital

and thanks for all your help :) im also going to call the place i bought it from cus i think i gave them my social security number for warranty so maybe i can get a new one :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to WD Warranty page and check on the warranty status and if good then do the RMA on the drive.
This should get you a replacement with no problem.
Please let me know how it all turns out and when you are ready to install it please respond here and I'll be here to assist.

lokikoli

lokikoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
will do and thanks for everything :)