Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard disk drive problem

• Please log in to reply

colonelsas

colonelsas

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hello,
I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE, ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO.
But it started working and now the same problem has happend again it has stopped working and i dont know why this is happening.

Problem:
My external hard disk drive is not working, but it is in a way because when all the stuff are connected the light on the hard disk drive is on and you can hear the noise coming from the machine.

But when i do: Start >My computer and i click on the external hard disk drive (F), it says that it´s corupt and stuff. (I connected a picture for you to see)

Things i have done to try and solve the problem:
1)Restart my computer.
2)Change the USB port it was in.
3)Wait forr it to cool down and down point (1) and (2) again.
4)Ran virus checks
5)Run ATF_Cleaner

And none of the above (1) to (5) have solved my external hard disk drive problem.

Computer Info:

Intel ®
Celeron® CPU 2.80GHz
2.79 GHz, 0,99 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

External hard disk drive Info:
Features & Benefits
# 1-TB Capacity Add enormous capacity instantly. Stores 320,000 digital photos or 1,000 hours of digital video or 16,660 hours of digital music.
7,200 RPM, 16-MB cache buffer
# For fast drive performance, seamless data exchange and instant access to your files.
USB 2.0 Interface
# Plug and play. Simply connect using the USB 2.0 cable and get up and running fast.
Simple setup
# Just connect the power adapter, then connect the USB cable into your PC or Mac, and you’re up and running.
Warranty 3-year limited warranty.

Specifications
Hard Drive 3.5-inch SATA
# Capacity (Model No.) 1 TB (STM310005EHD301-RK) RPM 7,200
# Cache Buffer 16-MB
# Interface USB 2.0
# Bus Transfer Rate
# USB 2.0 480 MB/sec
# Dimensions 8"H x 1.75"W x 5"L (203 mm x 44.5 mm x 127 mm)
# Weight 2.33 lbs (1.0569 kg)
# Compatibility Mac and PC
# PC Requirements Pentium III, 500 Mhz equivalent processor or higher Windows Vista, 2000 Professional, XP Professional or XP Home Edition 128-MB RAM or more as required by operating system (256-MB recommended)
# Macintosh Requirements Apple G4 processor or greater Mac OS X (10.2.8 or later): 128-MB (256-MB recommended) RAM or more as required by operating system
Warranty 3-year limited warranty.

* Model: EXTERNAL HARDDISK 1TB MAXTOR BAS
* Shipping Weight: 3kg
* 5 Units in Stock
* Manufactured by: Maxtor

Attached Thumbnails

• MAXTOR_1TB.jpg
  • no.JPG

Advertisements

SalomonXM

SalomonXM

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi colonelsas,

Have you tried removing the Maxtor Basic Drivers, Restarting Your Computer, Plugging in the Drive again and seeing if it'll Boot Up and trigger your computer to install the Drivers again?

colonelsas

colonelsas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I just tryed it now and it still hasn´t worked.

colonelsas

colonelsas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
my hard disk drive is on but it´s just no getting to the computer.

colonelsas

colonelsas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
My external hard disk drive has started working again when i turned my computer on it started doing all these things and now my external hard disk drive is working.
If this problem happends again i will tell you´s.