Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

jinwoo

jinwoo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
okay heres what happened...iwas actually trying to perform a online virus scan but i was using mozilla firefox so it wouldnt run..i went to go dl internet explorer 6 when i got some really gay error that said it would perform an automatic error shutdown so iwas like oh [bleep] nd it shut off
so i turned it back on..but when it went to the log in screen for windows xp
i logged in but it automatically logged me off -_- i would reformat but there is some info i need that i stupidly didnt back up
so what im trying to do now is installing a totally clean new 160 gb Maxtor hard drive nd then putting my old one (the corrupted one) as a secondary drive so i can juss transfer it cuz itll juss b data? or something like that
but my problem is that...i did the jumper so itll b master drive..i set up everything to make it the primary one..but when i went to set up..it didnt recognize the drive and im stuck and idk what to do cuz i followed all the directions and stuff..but its still not working =/

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
so you set the new drive as the master, which is correct. did you also connect the old drive to that cable? if so, did you change its jumper to slave?
another option is to just leave the old drive disconnected until the new one is up and running. then you can connect the old drive, which will still need to be set as a slave drive.