Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP and FreeDOS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

m0rfea

m0rfea

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey!

I got new computer yesterday and it seems it has FreeDOS (or something, not sure though) on it and it's on C partition. I wanted to delete it, but it said, that that partition contains system information and it shouldn't be deleted (since I have no idea what this is, I didn't delete it :) ). So I created new partition from unpartitioned space for XP and now I have my XP on drive I :/
And now, everytime I start my computer a message appears asking if I want to boot into XP or unknown OS on the C partition and I have 30s to decide, if I don't do anything it goes to XP automatically.

Is there anything wrong if I have the DOS thing and XP? I really don't have time for another format, so I'm just wondering, if it's ok, to keep things this way for some time.
And I guess, there is no way of changing the pathnames (I and C), unless I format again and delete the C partition?

I hope you understand my questions :)
Thanks a lot for your help :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how big is the dos partition...
go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on boot.ini tab...change the time to 5 seconds click OK...click restart now

m0rfea

m0rfea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did what you said and it boots faster now, thanks :)

The partition is 37GB, the DOS itself is 4,12MB.
This is it:
Posted Image

Just in case if you need this:
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE G33/31
Pentium Dual Cure E5200 @ 2,60GHz
2GB RAM DDR2
320 GB HD

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then just leave it...it may come in handy one day and its not taking up any space...

m0rfea

m0rfea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok :)

Tnx again :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)