Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank screen on start up after total power failure: inspiron 1525- a r

• Please log in to reply

mockturtle

mockturtle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello!

Right, from the top..

Tried to start up my Dell Latitude 1525 after critically low battery message (oh yes, am regretting that now!) and nearly sent email before battery died. On next start up attemp I had the following problem which continues to trouble me as I have not backed up my data and am desperate to save it.

On pressing the on/off button the dell logo appears as normal, then the windows logo and progress bar but after that blank, nothing, there is a white curson which I can move but no commands work (not ctrl,alt&dlt or esc.. nothing) The only way out of the blankness is to powerdown with the on/off button again. I should also mention that the numlock light stays on (a lock with a 9 inside it)

I have tried loads of different tactics to change this and or find out what is wrong. briefly:

1) On start up, I have pressed F11 to go into the boot menu
a. if I go into Internal HDD I get an error message "windows did not shut down successfully" and the option of entering safe mode etc. Safe mode does not work but the white cursor appears larger.
b. I have run the full diagnostics a couple of times not and it brings up no problems.
c. the only error message that points to a problem that I have found was when I ran the "Onbourd NIC" which briefly showed "media test failure – check cable"

2) In F8, I have tried:
a. 'repair your computer'
i. does not find anything to repair
ii. Restore system files and setting
"X no restore points have been created on your computer's system disk. To create a restore point open "System Protection" If I click that then I get this:
System restore -> "your computer is running in a limited diagnostic state, if you are using system restore in this limited state, you cannot undo the restore operation." -> but when I try to restore, it goes back to the beginning..
b. all of the safe modes, to no avail.
c. starting windows normally from the advanced boot menu.

3) On pressing Fn on start up, it runs diagnostics and finds "All tests performed : completed successfully."

I'm sorry this post is so long and dull, I have looked all over the internet and found many people with similar problems but only one who has found a way out of it (see: http://ivansnotebook...use-cursor.html
but I am worried about going into 'restore vista backups' because I would prefer to know that I could safely download all the data of my laptop first without possibly deleting it all.

Does anyone out there have any ideas?
Could it be related to the total battery failure catastrophe (none of the other people with this problem seemed to think it was battery related), is it the hardware (I mean the dell) or is it an operating system problem?

My priority, however, is to find out if I can save my data. If I took my PC to a shop, could they help?

Thank you for your time!

Alex

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Welcome to GeeksToGo.

I think you have lost your Windows as you may have guessed and so that will need to be restored.

However like you said getting your data back is your priority.

Read This tutorial on how to rescue your data with Knoppix. It is basically an operating system on a disk and will allow you to go into your hard drive and rescue the data.
You will need to rummage around and find what you need and then back it up to an External Hard drive or USB stick.
You wont be able to use a CD as you have to keep knoppix in the drive.

When knoppix loads plug in your external hard drive/ memory stick and then follow the instructions to find the relevant folders.

If you don't have an external hard drive or memory stick then you will have to buy one. You could like you said take it to a PC shop but I would look into the price first as it will be in most cases cheaper for you to restore it.