Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Column Details not showing in WE

• Please log in to reply

OllyPomm

OllyPomm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Windows Explorer
I used to be able to hover over my avi files and a pop up would tell me some info that included the length of the file - it doesn't do that now. I also have my movies folder set up with columns named Duration, Dimensions etc but there's no info in them, but there used to be.

How do I get these things to work again.

The only playing I've done with my PC lately was to update codecs and disable some shell extensions because I was having trouble activating an avi in Windows Explorer when I double clicked on it. I've checked the shell extensions I disabled but none of them have anything to do with this problem.

Under View, Details -'Show' is greyed out (because they are supposed to be already showing). I can only choose the Hide button.

Thanks
Olly

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try system restore.

OllyPomm

OllyPomm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Try system restore.

I'm hoping someone has some suggestions of things to try actually.
I don't think it's a good idea to rely on system restore to fix problems - I'd prefer to fix the problem and learn something if I can.

Thanks anyway
Olly

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Please click on Tools.
Now click on Folder options.
After that Click on view then restore defaults.

See if that helps.

OllyPomm

OllyPomm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I found a fix for my problem!

Start>Run>regsvr32 shmedia.dll and the info magically appeared. From reading elsewhere it was something to do with the new codecs I'd downloaded taking over.

Olly