Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I got too uninstall-happy

• Please log in to reply

Downloaded

Downloaded

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys,

I'm going to college in a few weeks and as some of you may know I recently bought a desktop computer for my dorm. I've got that completely taken care of and I'll use that for a combination of work and games, but I'd like to use my old laptop as a completely work oriented machine. I recently installed MS Office Ultimate after having some trouble with the file I downloaded via Microsoft and Digital River's "Ultimate Steal" offer. I cleaned out my registry and stuff and then the installation of MS Office went flawlessly.

Cleaning out my registry gave me the idea to just go on a massive uninstall binge so that the only programs remaining on my laptop would be MS Office Ultimate, iTunes, some sort of web browser and maybe a few maintenance utilities so that I have no games to distract me and nothing to slow down my computer when I'm using it for work.

So yesterday I decided to start unstalling things and everything was going just fine until I started to uninstall Adobe Photoshop CS3 and the Sony Ericsson PC Suit I have on my computer so I can transfer pictures and music back and forth. I actually UNINSTALLED Photoshop without a hitch but when I looked on the external hard drive that it had been installed on (I wanted to wipe the HD clean) I saw there were still a few Adobe files left and when I tried to delete them I got an error message saying that deleting these files may cause some programs to stop working. I thought the only programs that would be affected were adobe programs like Image Ready and Photo Stock, etc. so I paid it no heed and deleted the files anyway. Then I moved onto uninstalling the Sony Ericsson PC suit which worked fine up until the end at which point a driver error message popped up that reappeared whenever I tried to exit it. I had to force-shut-down my laptop and when I booted up everything seemed to be fine, except for the fact that when I ran MS Word it came up with a window telling me it had to "configure the necessary files", which it now does every time I run it, and all the text on my computer is italicized.

To try and fix the issue I loaded a system restore point, which didn't really fix anything so I tried loaded an even earlier one, which to my knowledge hasn't fixed the issue yet either. Now there are programs on my add/remove software list that should already be uninstalled and don't react when I click the "remove" button, MS Word still configures whenever it launches (which it didn't do before), and all the text on my computer is still italicized. I thought the system restore would bring back whatever files I shouldn't have deleted but I guess I made a bigger booboo than I had originally suspected.

Please, help!

Advertisements