Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Built gaming computer keeps having problems after problems

• Please log in to reply

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Ok the memory test has been going on for almost 6 minutes and theres already 128+ failing addresses. I don't get it. How can it get like this? I've only had the HD for maybe 6 months

That's not so great. Failing addresses usually mean that you RAM has become unstable which will probably explain the BSOD's and the stalling on install.
Leave memtest running untill test #9. We may as well see how bad this is.

Also don't forgot this is looking at RAM and not the hard drive.

Can you please post the make and model of your hard drive, I would like to track down a hard drive diagnostics program to rule that out.

What do you guys do for a living? I'm in the Navy currently but I want to get out to work on computers I just don't know what field

I'm a Student...so at the moment a neither have nor make a living...I wish it was like this all the time :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
6 minutes and 128 failed addresses...
Memory is bad.
If you have more then one ram module you may want to test them one at a time.
In your case I would suggest replacement of your memory.

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

You could also use NewRgg's Memory Configuration Tool to get your system memory.

Balto

Balto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Make: Seagaate Model: 7200.11

The memtest has been running for 6:07. It has 4662 failing addresses. Ok so now I need to buy ram. No biggie. Would that prevent me from installing WoW?

Balto

Balto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

6 minutes and 128 failed addresses...
Memory is bad.
If you have more then one ram module you may want to test them one at a time.
In your case I would suggest replacement of your memory.

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

You could also use NewRgg's Memory Configuration Tool to get your system memory.

I will continue to let the memtest run.

Balto

Balto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
When test number 9 comes up what do I look for to tell you guys? Its already on test 8.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The ram is bad and yes it will prevent the installation of programs.

Make: Seagaate Model: 7200.11

Click HD diagnostic in my signature below. Choose the manufacturer of your hd. Download the tool. Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. If not then we will pursue other hardware or software possibilities
Find the Seatools newest version and use that to test your HD.

Balto

Balto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm going to go to Frys today to grab some ram. I've got Windows XP- whats the best kind I should get w/ how many Gigs?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Post #17
Run the crucial scanner or manually input the needed information.
That will give you the exact type and maximum amount your system can handle.
As a rule of thumb 1 gig is the Sweet Spot for XP
If you can afford more then 2 gigs will not hurt at all.
Memory should always be put in matching pairs. If you are replacing paired memory replace both sticks to make sure there is no compatibility issues.

Balto

Balto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
http://www.crucial.c.....el=TPower I45

PC2-5300, PC2-6400, PC2-8500 and PC2-9600?

Balto

Balto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Wow thats crazy how much ram is. I've never spend more than 80 bucks. :) . Alright well I need to take the kids to school and run some errands. I'll bring the faulty Ram w/ me to Frys and pick some out. Why are those so expensive.

Advertisements

Balto

Balto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Alright well I'm back- I've bought PNY's 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 Ram and ran a memtest on it and no errors! :) Its also got a lifetime warrenty on it so I should be good there. What do you think happened to my old Ram? Maybe some ESD complications? Thanks again guys. I think I'll probably hang around the forums more and try to learn some things from you guys. You guys are awsome. I'm installing WoW right now and I'll see if it will work this time.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Nice to see you got some replacements so quick.

Make sure you get back to us if the game works Ok. I'm pretty sure it will after what I've seen in your recent replies.

Also don't forget to run the Hard drive diagnostics in reply #21

Balto

Balto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yep! It works:) I had a feeling I knew it would work after I saw how bad the RAM was :) You guys rock.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Nice job well done :)