Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"no signal" when i trie to boot up

• Please log in to reply

celuilie

celuilie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys i have a problem, my computer is not loading windows xp when i turn on it goes to the option safe mode,
safe mode with command propmt , lastknown good setting... this screen and when i choose any option i get the windows XP loading screen then displays no signal and then restarts on its own and again with the smae thing

its tying to load the computer but cann,it load the windows and restart it again and come up with same screen. I donn,t have a windows CD rom what should i do please help me.
thanks.
you guys are my last hope its been like this for over 2 weeks :) :)

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
In the advanced boot options menu.(The menu with safe mode) there should be a option for VGA mode. Try to start it in that mode and let us know what happens.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if what tuxmaster says doesn't work...try this...

do these steps one at a time and try to boot up in between...if it boots normally stop running the rest of the fixes they won't be necessary...

go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r from the rc.iso cd...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a black dos box... Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
remove the rc.iso cd and reboot...if it does not boot into windows

boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd and Reboot

celuilie

celuilie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well happyrock, thanks for ur post 1st of all,
2nd well, what u said would work if i could open the PC, but i actually cant do so.
right now i'm actually using the laptop to communicate with the outside world :)
unless well i can burn the disc here, but i'm not sure if the sick desktop can read CDs without being booted up, can it ?????
if so, i should run buy some CDs and trie ur method.
thanks alot for ur help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
use the laptop to burn the cd...then put it in the other computer...it will boot and run from the cd...it does not need the OS on the computer to run at all

celuilie

celuilie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok then, i'll make sure to keep u updated about what happens thanks alot