Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cant boot from WIn xp cd

• Please log in to reply

micaxxa18

micaxxa18

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have this neighbors pc ,the computer wont boot from win xp cd,even though the setting of the BIOS > Boot sequence in which i gave first priority to cd rom.
I am running Dell computer
Btw the drive configuration in the BIOS is set to
SATA :None
Sata:none
primary master drive:hdd
primary slave drive: none
secondary master drive :cd rom
secondary slave drive:none and even when i auto it ,it appears as NO device

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,793 posts

secondary slave drive:none and even when i auto it ,it appears as NO device

Is there a second HDD connected to this and it is not being detected?

micaxxa18

micaxxa18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No there is only one hdd,there are two drives one cd and the other dvd+cd drive(the dell own drive i think) are connected to secondary IDE port..I have tried setting the one cd drive to slave in the back of the jumper ,and one master but some when i do this
It still calls the cd drive as the master ...Can u tell me what i should do to the correct configuration?

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,793 posts
The secondary IDE controller might be bad. Why don't you try making one of the optical drives the slave on the first controller?

micaxxa18

micaxxa18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No there is only one hdd,there are two drives one cd and the other dvd+cd drive(the dell own drive i think) are connected to secondary IDE port..I have tried setting the one cd drive to slave in the back of the jumper ,and one master but some when i do this
It still calls the cd drive as the master ...Can u tell me what i should do to the correct configuration?

micaxxa18

micaxxa18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ohk i ll try that.lol.glad to see your response btw ,have no idea :)

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,793 posts
The ribbon cable might also be the culprit. Make sure you don't reuse it on the first IDE connection.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,793 posts
Or rather, if you try it, you might find it doesn't work, and you will have found the culprit.

micaxxa18

micaxxa18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried youre method it didnt work.lol.
Although i got to boot it from the cd by making cd drive the secondary slave drive and the dvd master slave drive and kept it to none ..
NOw my problem is i cant detect my cd or dvd drive on the pc ????

micaxxa18

micaxxa18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
LOL..i just fixed it i made the dvd drive the master drive and the cd drive as slave..It works .lol

crystaldon

crystaldon

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Glad you got it to work. Just as an FYI, some WinXp CD's are not bootable. I saw one that would only run from an existing, running instance of Windows. It turned out to be an upgrade CD. When it does run, it installs the entire OS, but it was not bootable.

We ended up installing Win2000 (from a bootable Win2000 CD), then re-installing from the WinXP CD, but we ran the WinXp CD from the running Win2000.