Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Virus, XP will not start PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

grindhouse

grindhouse

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I was surfing the web yesterday when all of a sudden I saw a black window appear that ran some .exe file. I was not downloading anything just surfing. Moments later all the windows closed and a fake antivirus program opened by itself and starting scanning my computer. The program had a fake windows symbol and it would not close. There was also some addon that was preventing me from opening any internet browsers. At least, that is what warning windows were telling me. Simultaneously, my real antivirus program (symantec) was quarantining about 7 infected files. Some of them were in the windows system folder and some were in temporary file folders. Unfortunately, I forget the names. I decided to reboot my computer and it rebooted fine. However, the fake antivirus program starting running again and I could not open any browsers. I decided to try and reboot in safe mode by running msconfig. During the reboot a blue screen popped up saying there was some error. Now I cannot run XP at all. I keep getting the error message. I tried rebooting in safe mode, safe mode with networking, previous working settings, start windows normally, etc. None work. I can however press F2 or F12 and get to those diagnostic and setup screens. Am I screwed? It is a dell laptop and they did not include a Windows XP disc. Please Help. Thank you for your time.

Edited by grindhouse, 13 August 2009 - 10:13 AM.

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instructions for posting your OTL, MBAM and RootRepeal logs.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

grindhouse

grindhouse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank you.