Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another Problem With Msn Explorer

• Please log in to reply

debbyski

debbyski

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,
Hate to bother you guys again, but I keep getting the error message from MSN that it has experienced an internal error and will have to restart. I keep sending the report to msn, but it does no good. I did some research and thought it was a software conflict caused by KeenValue. But I can't find keevalue anywhere on the computer or in the registry. So I tried tech support through msn and they said to download msn 9. I currently have verizon dsl with msn 6. But when I downloaded the most current version of msn, that made my error message worse, so I used goback and went back to before I downloaded and installed the updated version of msn. The tech guy at msn said this was a windows problem (I'm running 98, second edition) Any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
this is a page I fuond on keenvaule Click Here
It tells you about it and how to remove it .
<_<

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
here is the tech support I found, but I don't have the further infomration in the error messsage that says "kvlhookwin.dll."
http://support.msn.c...t&aid=KeenValue

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
did you look at the link that I gave you? if you did not install this at the end of the page you posted gaves you some tool sites to remove this. you said you had msn6 if you go to the verizon site you should be able to get msn8. thats what i run with verizon DSL. looking at some of the other post did you down load adware?
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
debbyski, can you give us the exact error message your getting?

Also, I know from your earlier posts that your running Adaware, but this sure sounds like you have some pest in your system. If you'd like to post a Hijack This log I'd be glad to take a look at it. <_<

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I downloaded pest patrol and installed it, and it just crashed on my system. So I took it off. When I get the error message again, I'll post the exact message. I did download MSN 9 and instead of the error message coming on when I clicked off, it came on constantly. So the new msn made the problem worse. I looked in the download manager today and found all the free software I had downloaded in the last 30 days and I took all that off if keenvalue was bundled with any of it. I just can't find keenvalue anywhere. I'll try downloading msn 8 and see if that works. I'll give the exact error message later.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I hate to sound like a broken record <_< , but I'd really like to take a look at your HiJack This log. It doesn't contain any personal or private information, and will help us to determine if there's some nasties causing your problem, or if we need to continue looking elsewhere. :D

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Did that and saw a couple of things that needed removed. Free History Cleaner was one. Other than that everything looks ok.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
So you're comfortable with HiJack This logs. <_< We could use you more around here :D

Unless you can provide more details on the exact error received, I think you've stumped the geeks. :D

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Not entirely comfortable with HiJack this logs, but I could recognize some things were needed for programs, and then basically looked at all the other things with the info button. I recognized Free History Cleaner had spyware in it because I have a few different spyware programs like start-up mechanic and bazooka which scans and tells you how to remove spyware. I seem to get the error message at sign off sometimes and while switching members. It says "Messenger has experienced an internal error and will have to restart. We are sorry for the inconvience and please tell Microsoft about it." Then you can send an error report. It seems that since I was always getting this error at sign-off, when I tried to send an error report, it didn't send. But today I got the error report between switching member names and it sent. I basically went through all my freeware that I didn't use today and took alot off. The tech support at msn said it was a windows problem and a problem with windows XP, but I'm running 98, second edition. When I took his advice and updated my msn (which is 8, sorry) to msn 9, the error report was appearing much more. So, use goback and then take off msn 9. I think it is a software conflict and I'm wondering if it started happening when I updated messenger to 6.1. I'll keep you posted, you guys are too good to be stumped.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
I would post the log for Admin to look at you may be missing some thing that is in there.that is doing this I use msn8 from verizon and never had a problem with it. there is no info. in there that anyone can use to hack you or get any important info. you may not want anyone to get. I'm learning but not any way as good as Admin on reading them.
<_<

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
ok,
I did that. Maybe they can find something I need to remove.

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I finally copied and pasted the exact error message:

We’re sorry, but MSN has experienced an internal error and will have to restart.
If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
Please tell MSN about this problem.
By allowing MSN to send an automated error report, you can help MSN work to prevent errors from happening in the future. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It would be helpful to have still more information. Is there an option to see details the report contains, a signature file or other area where it may display the error code and or conflicting .dll files?

Also, have you tried completely removing MSN using add/remove programs in the control panel, restarting and then reinstalling it?

Finally, It seems as though a lot of these crashes are from ActiveX conflicts. Try opening your Windows/Downloaded Program Files folder and deleting any ActiveX controls that don't look familiar to you (you may have to remove some from add/remove programs). You should be safe deleting anything from this folder, if needed it'll just prompt you the next time you visit a page and it needs that ActiveX Control.

...one more thought. Are your security settings set to medium?

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Checked the active X controls and everything looks good. So I set my security setting to medium and then I didn't see the error message. The next step is to unistall and install MSN 8 if needed.