Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accidentally Deleted A Whole Folder of Files

• Please log in to reply

jrb6457

jrb6457

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've searched the forums and have employed a few of the techniques in here, even purchased some software but still cannot get to the bottom of this issue, will accept any and all flogging if this is discussed and resolved elsewhere.

So the scenario is this, I had a 'folder' in my C: drive labeled "Job Files" that had several other 'folders' in it, in each subsequent 'folder' were several different types of 'files' (.doc, .xls, .jpg). I was in the process of rearranging some things and must have deleted that 'Job Files' folder. It is gone, even the shortcut on my desktop says that the path is no longer valid. (It is not in the recycle bin).

Although I can't recall a specific file that was in there, I have run several recover programs (pc inspector, free undelete and file scavenger 3.2) All of these programs find several files that were deleted from previous things, none of them can find any of the files that were in that 'folder'.

I did a small test, deleted another 'folder' with contents that I knew the exact name of one of the files (steel 1.pdf for example). I ran all of the above recovery programs and they cannot find that any form of that PDF file, I did a search for steel, 1, *.pdf, nothing. So even an event as recent of that is undetectable with the tools I have.

So in my mind, I think that since the whole 'folder' was deleted, it is masking the contents of this 'folder' to the recover programs. The sad part is that it is not in the 'recycle bin' so I didn't even get a second chance at recovery!

Is my logic sound? Is there any way to recover a 'folder' or any of its contents? Am I really up the creek?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you sure you deleted it? maybe it's nested inside of another folder

press start, then choose search, then choose files or folders, click on "all files and folders" then type "job files" (without quotes) in the search box and press search

jrb6457

jrb6457

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Unfortunately, I have searched everywhere, even on the network drives for it. It had to have been deleted.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
were you holding the shift key when you pressed delete? how long ago did you delete the files? was the folder ACTUALLY on your C drive or was it a shortcut to a network location? the programs you listed should have AT LEAST shown the existence of the deleted files even if they couldn't restore them

jrb6457

jrb6457

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The shortcut on my desktop says "c:\JOB FILES". I was in the process of rearranging some items and getting ready for a computer change.

I know my first post was kind of lengthy, but what about the 'test' delete I did?

I did a small test, deleted another 'folder' with contents that I knew the exact name of one of the files (steel 1.pdf for example). I ran all of the above recovery programs and they cannot find that or any form of that PDF file, I did a search for steel, 1, *.pdf, nothing. So even an event as recent of that is undetectable with the tools I have.

Apparently something is not working with the tools I have if I can't even find that PDF, minutes after it was deleted?

Any thoughts?