Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP can't boot after windows update restart.

• Please log in to reply

Snow-rlly

Snow-rlly

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I installed some security updates on a XP machine this morning, and now I can't get it to boot into XP. I just get the same black screen and blinking cursor.

What I've done since:
-Removed a scsi controller card that wasn't being used by anything (don't ask me I didn't build the machine).
-Booted into the recovery console, picked the boot drive, ran chkdsk /p restarted normally
-checked to see if the HD was set to master, it was
-went into the bios to see if it was recognizing the IDE drive, it was.
-Booted onto the XP disc and ran the repair, no resoltion
-checked to see if it was the hard drive or something else, put in a new HD and installed XP, and it boots.
-Put in the old drive again, and ran chkdsk /r. Still in process, after about an hour.

Think I am going to try and let it boot normally, and then run chkdsk /r again after that and again until it can't find any errors. I have gparted, as well that I can use.

I think my main worry is since it happened after running a windows update that I will have to reinstall fresh.

Any thoughts?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Can you remember which update it was?
Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Snow-rlly, if you can get WinXP to load try Running CHKDSK C: /R
Can you access System Restore ? Having installed Win XP on another HDD and it worked says something, your Hard drive may be on the way out.
Any warnings as it boots, SMART Drive ?

Snow-rlly

Snow-rlly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No I don't remember what updates they were... They were just security updates. It was my own [bleep] fault really, I usually log them but I got lazy. No warnings on boot just the blinking cursor. I tried using another HD and installed a fresh copy of XP on it. That works just fine. I used chkdsk /r and it took a long time but it didn't say it fixed any errors. One thing weird is that when I am checking around that disk it says that when i try and open c:\Program Files access it denied.

I can not boot into safe mode. It doesn't even start loading the windows kernel or anything.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I used chkdsk /r and it took a long time but it didn't say it fixed any errors. One thing weird is that when I am checking around that disk it says that when i try and open c:\Program Files access it denied.

Win XP Pro, or Home ? This is on the Original "BAD" Drive ?

I can not boot into safe mode. It doesn't even start loading the windows kernel or anything.

I asume your talking about your Original Drive ? You can boot/Login to Windows on Computer with the "BAD" Drive ?

You've run all the "repair" options as stated in your first post.

Unless your permissions have screwed up and your running XP Pro,Start > Run > (Type)>GPEDIT.msc can get you into Admin Permissions, look to see your user has Admin rights. In reference to "c:\Program Files access is denied"

As you've used all repair options, looking like a Malware problem for your Original Hard Drive. Up to you whether to start from scratch with the Newly installed Win XP on the working Hard Drive, or pursue Malware cleanup ?

Can you scan with a AV. Do you have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware DownLoad

Snow-rlly

Snow-rlly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't think I am being very clear.

XP won't boot... at all. I get through the memcheck, and then if I go into boot options I can select the disk I want to boot from. After that the post goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor.

No safe mode, No XP screen, nothing.

If i boot off of a XP Pro CD, go into the recovery console, choose the windows installation, then in the command line I can peruse some of it.

when I cd "c:\Program Files" it gives me a access denied message. has a d-r-- on it. that's about it though. I guess it might have been a virus?

Snow-rlly

Snow-rlly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I ALSO, have another drive that I loaded XP onto. I am going to try and make the Original drive the slave and the NEW drive master.

I also try mbrfix and mbrboot, to no avail. Reseting the BIOS, finding the IDE drives again... nothing.

I guess it might have been a virus but how would I go about fixing that? It does seem coincidental that it stopped working after that windows update though.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
O.K. I see what your saying.
The swapping around of Master(New Drive & XP Install) is a good idea, just to get you with a System to work this out.

1.)Can you get online ? Your posting, so I guess so :)
2.)What Anti Malware Software do you have installed on the "Bad drive": Resident Anti Virus, Firewall, on demand scanner('s)
Would be very useful if via the New HDD you could scan your Original Drive, in my opinion, as you seem to have done all the basic trouble shooting.
That's why I suggested MalwareBytes AntiMalware http://www.malwarebytes.org/
I dunno what's on your "Bad drive"; as it's unresponsive, installing the before mentioned Scanner to your "New" drive and scanning the "Bad Drive" is all I can think of at the moment. MBAM will detect 70% of all Malware, is quick and light install.

It does seem coincidental that it stopped working after that windows update though.

Exactly, and if "It" installed IE 8, and you run a HOSTS file, site, cookie exclusion program, IE 8 is known to crack the uhum.
Very late, I'm off now, good luck !

Snow-rlly

Snow-rlly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hehe that's the ONE thing I do remember unchecking was IE 8. so hopefully once this thing gets done updating I can check out the other drive.

Only thing on it that I want is a streaming video website that we use. I don't really want to construct it again. Luckily I pulled off all the backed up video data onto an external hours before this all started.

**edit** yah, i can get online but i am on another computer. The broken machine is sitting here next to me.

Edited by Snow-rlly, 14 August 2009 - 11:50 AM.

Snow-rlly

Snow-rlly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Update:

Well I installed the BIOS and Chipset, as well as drivers... hooked up the OLD HD as a slave. The comp sees it just fine, and I can access all the directories on it. Not sure why it won't boot off of it though. Going to try and make it primary again and see if it still is giving me trouble.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Let us know how you go, I like a happy ending :)

I'm interested if you have any Anti Virus software, i.e. Resident protection, or in general Anti malware , as it's all becoming known...

I'm recommending you become familiar with simple little old tool called ERUNT
ERUNT(Freeware)
It shouldn't be as good as MS System Restore, but it's a fact, it's better. If at this point you'd kept a ERUNT Registry Backup on a USB flash Drive, or in it's default location; C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT, you wouldn't be here ! :)
Access ERUNT backup on your Old Disk whilst using the Fresh XP Install as Master, and bingo a double click and you'd have restored the "Bad" drive to a point prior to Win Update. Obviously you would have to initiate the backup before making System changes through MS Update,but it's through situations like this that a need for a "Go Back" solution is needed.

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

Please navigate to Start >> All Programs >> ERUNT

* Click on OK within the pop-up menu.
* In the next menu under C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\DD-MM-YYYY under Backup options make sure both the following are selected:
* System registry
* Current user registry
* Next click on OK
* When the Question pop-up appears click on Yes
* After a short duration the Registry backup is complete! popup will appear
* Now click on OK. A backup has been created.

To access the backup > C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT > select the dated folder which is the most recent/appropriate and double click ERDNT.EXE, from within that Folder.

Before any Installation of a new Program, or System change, I like millions, make a ERUNT Registry Backup ! :)

It's my weekend, and I'm off to play in the Sun :)

Good luck, your almost there Snow-rlly :)

Snow-rlly

Snow-rlly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I am using Vipre Antivirus, good company Sunbelt Software. You can keep using their 15 day free trial over and over again.

It found a tracking cookie. So I cleaned it, then shut down the machine. swapped the New boot HD with the Old one.

Restarted and it booted windows... but it ended up going into the stage 2 setup for XP. (the collecting info/dynamic update/preparing installation/installing windows)

Came up with an error:

"fatal error: an error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing.

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. this is a fatal error. the setup log files should contain more information."

I opened the log file: "Error: the signature for windows xp professional upgrade is invalid. the error code is 800b0100. no signature was present in the subject."

So...

since I just installed SP 3 on it.. that might be why. I tried to repair with SP2, so http://lifehacker.co...installation-cd

is a handy tool to know.

need: http://www.nliteos.com/download.html
a xp disc
cd key
sp3 update

Snow-rlly

Snow-rlly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
attempted to log in but got this error:
"this copy of windows must be activated with microsoft beofre you can log in. do you want to activate windows now?" Then exited back to the login screen.

Restarted

f8 for safe mode (not safe mode with networking)

copy "wpa.dbl" file from a good build and paste it into C:\windows\system32

restart

enter safemode again

install WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

restart

Normal boot

Activated, and alls good in the neighborhood.

Anyway. sucks that it took 2 days to fix =/

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

copy "wpa.dbl" file from a good build and paste it into C:\windows\system32

Brings back memories, :)

Activated, and alls good in the neighborhood.

Anyway. sucks that it took 2 days to fix =/

it sux, but you did it.
Two days, you had all the data you wanted backed up, but you went ahead and fixed it !
Could've just used the "Other" Drive", updated, and got on with life.
Something pushed you along to solve the problem, fixing can be addictive. :)

Hope you've installed Erunt, and get off that dodgy trial AV.

Well I am using Vipre Antivirus, good company Sunbelt Software. You can keep using their 15 day free trial over and over again.

Sounds like a potential problem, grab yourself a copy of Avast! Home , you will be well protected.
Things I see to happen next:
1.) Find a backup solution, I suggested ERUNT
2.)You never know when "Vipre Antivirus" wont let you "keep using their 15 day free trial over and over again." then your unprotected.
As I suggested get a year Trial of a good, free AntiVirus like Avast! (home edition)
Be safe online :)