Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

E521 can't access Bios screen

• Please log in to reply

josh_jaxon

josh_jaxon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Please help me........I am on the verge of trashing a perfectly good Dell E521 for know other reason than I can't load a newer OS. I am unable to boot from disk, and cannot access the BIOS to change sequence. My keyboard does not boot until after the bios screen is gone. I have reflashed the BIOS to the most current version and tried to boot from a flash drive with no avail. As a last resort, I am thinking about doing a desktop install of the new OS, but this has led to disaster in the past. Any info or ideas would be great

Josh J

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Welcome to GeeksToGo.

Are you using a USB keyboard?
Now on some Dell PC's there are only certain USB ports the are active on Boot Up.

For your PC the keyboard and mouse should be connected to the USB ports directly below the Audio I/O ports.
See This Article for details. Part 2.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
also,

if you have a ps/2 keyboard plug it into the ps/2 port and boot your pc, then shut down,

reboot your pc and begin tapping which ever key it is to get into your bios (F2 on mine, but some are Esc or Delete)

if you get into the bios then search for usb legacy support and enable it, this will allow you to use a usb keyboard in your bios,

do one change at a time in the bios, this will allow you to keep track of the changes and change the setting back if any problems arise