Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting to a wireless Network

• Please log in to reply

matthewhirst

matthewhirst

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, this is my first ever post in 'Networking'
I have a slight problem, my computers wireless stick finds 2 wireless networks my own 'NETGEAR' security enabled, and my best friend's who lives next to me 'Zoom' unsecured network so i always have acess to it no matter what
I can connect to my home one with no trouble weather it be day or not, my neighbor leaves there wireless on, on at night, when mine gets turned off so i can use theres to talk and chill. I can connect easy on my laptop to it as well as my own
When i come to connecting on my computer it says 'connected' then when i open a web page to browse it has the little red cross there, and the connection has gone, why is this? What can i do to stop it?

I'm running windows home premium ( The same as my laptop which connects all the time ) my wireless stick is a Micra Digital 802.11g Wireless USB adapter. It also works all the time on my windows xp pc

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You do realise it's a criminal offence in most jurisdictions to use somebody else's wireless network in this fashion, a term called "piggybacking"?
Why does your wireless get turned off at night?

matthewhirst

matthewhirst

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
didn't even know lol, even if he has gave me permission?