Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I already have Flashplayer, but it says I need it

• Please log in to reply

AmyR2

AmyR2

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Everyone,
How is everyone doing? I am having so many problems with my computer. I found out about this site from my brother-in-law who knows alot about computers and is trying to help me out with problems going on with mine whenever he can get over and all.

Anyways, the newest problem I'm having is when I try and go to sites that we use flashplayer for is not working for some reason and saying that I need to download it even though I already have it downloaded and in fact, it updated it earlier too.
So, something is causing it to not recognize I even have it.
Any ideas on what to do?
Thanks,
Amy

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Flash player is browser specific. Plus, JavaScript needs to be turned on for many sites.

How do I enable JavaScript in my browser? (Covers all browsers):

https://www.google.c...mp;answer=12654

Install Adobe Flash Player: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Adobe Flash Install by O/S: http://get.adobe.com.../otherversions/
Adobe's Flash for IE: http://www.filehippo...flashplayer_ie/

Adobe's Flash for Mozilla: https://addons.mozil...x/browse/type:7

Adobe Flash Player (Platform Versions): http://www.adobe.com...re/flash/about/

Web Players (free downloads of all current Adobe Web players for all platforms): http://www.adobe.com...oad/alternates/

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes, I realize that, I already have Flashplayer downloaded and installed. Yes, and Javascript is and has always been enabled.
But still isn't working for some reason. It keeps thinking I don't have it even though I do have it. Any ideas as to why it thinks I don't have Flashplayer?

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Still having problems. Even though I already have it installed it thinks I don't have it for some reason. Yes, Javascript is and always has been enabled on the computer.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Got a suggestion from happyrock that you check at this page:

Troubleshoot Adobe Flash Player installation for Windows

From another member of the Tech Staff:

I had a customer with a similar problem recently... it started after she installed AVG. Basically I had to disable the AVG toolbar (in fact I disabled them all - Google, Live, Yahoo etc etc... almost half the screen in toolbars) and then reset IE settings.

That did the trick.

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok, I just now got this error:
"
Error: Error #2067: The ExternalInterface is not available in this container.
ExternalInterface requires Internet Explorer ActiveX, Firefox, Mozilla 1.7.5 and greater, or other browsers that support NPRuntime.
at Error$/throwError()
at flash.external::ExternalInterface$/call()
at CallProxy$/debug()
at CallProxy()
at proxy_fla::MainTimeline/frame1()
"

Why do I get this error? The browser versions we have is greater than the versions it lists.
Also, some other stuff I'm reading is making me wonder if it's what is causing the problems-
"
Computer user permissions
User permissions determine whether or not you are allowed to install ActiveX controls or plug-ins. If you don't have Administrator access to Windows NT, 2000, XP, or Vista you may not be able to install Flash Player successfully. Administrative privileges are required for the Windows system registry and for the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash folder."

I'm wondering if the repairman who worked on my computer right before this past Christmas has caused something to happen. See, we had to call someone due to something that caused me to all of a sudden get locked out of my computer. It was coming up with a message that said
"This computer is in use and has been locked. Only AMY\AmyR(Amy) or an administrator can unlock this computer."
Then it had 2 boxes, one to enter in a username and the other for the password and then 2 buttons Ok and cancel.

The repairman brings the computer back. But then after he leaves, the locked out message comes up again. But it changed a bit. It had the word help entered in the username box and it also had (help) instead of (Amy) and then I didn't have to enter in any passwords.
I finally got a little help I guess on getting that locked message to stop coming up. I got it to stop by some setting I never even knew about they said to right click on Desktop and then Properties, then I go to Screen Saver tab and there was a checkmark next to On resume, password protect. That seemed to have stopped the locked message from coming up. But I have no idea how that thing got marked in the first place. Any ideas as to what would have caused this?

Also, another thing I have noticed after doing some exploring around is if I right click on the my computer icon and then go to properties and to Advanced tab and in the user profiles section and settings, it has 5 columns- Name, Size, Type, Status and Modified. Here is what was listed for everything.
Name Size Type Status Modified
1. Account Unknown 35.4 MB Local Local 5/22/2009
2. DeLL\Administrator 35.4 MB Local Local 5/22/2009
3. DELL\AmyR 1.06 GB Local Local 8/14/2009

I guess I'm wondering if the repairman did some kind of settings. Problem is we don't know what all he did. My mom said she was tempted to call him back since that locked message did come up again since we thought he had fixed it. Everything was just so hectic at the time too since it was right before Christmas and all that this was happening.

Also, another question.
I notice you say about things to disable. We don't have any of those toolbars mentioned- Google, yahoo, etc..
Only thing we noticed you talk about disabling AVG. If we disable AVG then I wont have any virus/spyware/adware protection.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Disabling AVG is only temporary. You can put your modem in standby if you are worried during all these changes and just reconnect when needed. Actually, Troy gave the suggestion for disabling all that so if you DON'T have those tool bars and only have AVG, you might try it. I doubt with your previous problems that it will be the solution now that you have posted additinal information.

The password request is a normal thing when you have that Screensaver box checked.

Have requested more help with this.

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I don't even know how to put the modem in standby. Also, my mom's computer wont be able to get online without it working. The modem and router both hooked to my computer and wired going through the attic out to the Garage to my mom's computer.

Don't even know how that Screensaver box could get checked. Have never even known about this screensaver box until the person that told me about that setting and have had the computer for like 7 years now. So then, also that locked message has never come up either all these years.

Also, thank you very much too for all your help.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
From memory there's a Windows Update that changes that box setting, as it's more secure. The idea being that if you go away from your computer for a while (and the screensaver starts), then you need to put your password in the box to continue. That way other (unathorised) people can't access your system.

The reason that box comes up is because a password is set on the account. If there's no password, then pressing Enter will let you login. Otherwise it will require the password.

When you turn the computer on, do you need to enter a password before you get to the desktop?

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
That's what I'm trying to explain. In all these years I have never seen anything like that come up on the computer. I just turn it on and I use it. Have had the computer for over 7 years now.
So, no, I have never had to enter in any passwords to use the computer.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Give the repairman a call and find out what he did.

For this reason, I always give my customers a copy of the job sheet and file one away myself. Down the track, we can easily find out what was done to it previously. It just makes it so much easier, and has actually saved my bacon a few times as well!

Have you had the system working recently, or is this an ongoing problem?

And for Ron's comment on putting the modem in standby, he just means disconnect it temporarily from the internet if you're worried about disabling antivirus protection. Although what I actually meant was disabling the AVG Security Toolbar, not necessarily the realtime protection of the antivirus itself.

Troy

Bryan_Jovi

Bryan_Jovi

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
me too have exactly the same problem,
so i have screensaver made by instantstorm
then i found trojan in my computer
and i delete it with KIS 2010, suddenly my computer hangs, so i shutdown the computer
after reboot, the screensaver says "this screensaver requires adobe flash component to work properly"
i not install AVG or such, just KIS 2010
but even i've already install Adobe Flash Player ActiveX version 10.0.32.18, reinstall and reboot
it keeps saying like that
any ideas? :) :) :)

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Can things like viruses, spyware, all that cause the lockout thing to happen?
The repairman had found spyware on the computer. But since thought he removed it, was surprised the message came back up after he left.
But then found that thing with the checkmark that I never knew about. Are there any sort of buttons I may have accidently hit that causes it to become checked? Like for example similar to our tv, on our remote control sometimes if we accidently hit certain buttons can cause our tv to go crazy and not know what you hit so know way to know what to do to get it to stop. I also actually have noticed you can even set a password on our dvd/vcr combo recorder and player we have to block kids from having access to R rated movies and stuff like that. But then if you set a password would be just another thing in life to keep up with.
My brother in-law who comes on this site too also ran a bunch of stuff too and found a bunch more spyware and stuff.
I just really want to get my computer working properly again. Due to my health, I'm home mostly, and using my computer is one of the things that helps get me through the days with something to do. Another thing I was thinking too, about the password thing, since our Internet is hooked up to my computer and then runs out to my mom's, then if I set a password for my computer, I don't see how that would work right with how we have things setup.
I do have a password for like my email, and sites like this that I go to. But for just using the computer, nope have never had to enter in any passwords to use it. Same as on other computers I've had too before this one. I'm using my mom's at the moment and she doesn't have any passwords to enter on hers either. To get her email, yes she has a password and same as me for sites she goes to, but just to use the computer, no passwords.
Oh and thought I'd also mention I don't have an AVG toolbar. When you said AVG, I thought you were talking about the virus protection. Didn't even know there is an AVG toolbar.

Thank you too for all you help,
Amy

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Viruses and all that "stuff" can do a lot more damage than you think they can.

Head on over to the instructions in this link.

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
My brother-in-law actually already has done the stuff in the link. The last time he was over he put all these different programs- Ccleaner, Malwarebytes Ant0Malware, ATF Cleaner, Spywareblaster, and so many other things he put on it too. Yes, did find things. Plus the repairman who worked on the computer said he had found things too. But then the locked thing came back up after he left. Some of the things he said too seemed a little odd though, so is about the only other reason other than just so many other things in life going on haven't called him back for anything. He said things that didn't make since and make us wonder if he doesn't know as much on computers. Like he said he didn't find any favorites when we were talking about sites I go to. I don't understand how he can't find the favorites. I find them by clicking on the Favorites or Bookmarks tab as some browsers call it. Another thing he said was someone named Amy locked the computer. I don't know how he knows the persons name is Amy. People can basically type in any names they want to.
Yes, me and my mom both understand that viruses, spyware, all that stuff can cause all kinds of problems. Anytime she finds articles and stuff about viruses, spyware, etc.. she saves them. That's why we are wondering if that is what caused this locked thing to happen or if it's just some buttons or something accidently hit to do it. Are there certain buttons to hit to do it?

Thanks,
Amy