Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I already have Flashplayer, but it says I need it

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The only way I know of to do it is to press the Windows key + L. (The Windows key on my keyboard is between the left CTRL and ALT keys).

Otherwise that check box you've already found under the screensaver options.

Are you still having the Flashplayer problem, by the way? Have you tried completely uninstalling it, restarting the computer, and then installing it again?

Advertisements

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Some really good news I think. It looks like the flashplayer is working again. I reinstalled it.
I also would like to thank you very much for telling me about the thing for the locking the Windows thing. It makes me wonder why the repairman never mentioned that to us as a possibility of things. I would think a good repairman would say, oh by the way, doing such and such can cause this to happen.
There is still so many things I need help with and questions to ask about just a bunch of things. Actually one of the questions is I keep having problems with like the Desktop I guess you would call it refreshes and I lose all the icons and everything for awhile. One thing I was wondering, if the computer has 3 user accounts, could that cause this? Like I'm wondering if it's somehow swtiching back and forth from user to users?
We still plan to contact the repairman to see what all he has done. As soon as I figure out how to word everything so he understands what it is we want. My mom said she will send him an email.
If he did some setting that gives users certain rights and access to things on computer, could that be causing alot of my problems I'm having now like with getting in accounts and stuff like that and installing certain things too? Since like one of the things it says for like flashplayer is run as administrator. Of course I never got that message even though one thing it says to run it as an administrator, that question/option never even came up to select that.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
As a "repairman" myself, I often remember once I've left the site things I could have mentioned as I went. I'm sure he knew it, but was just trying to get his head around the problem to worry about teaching you every little thing that could be slightly related... :)

The computer wouldn't be switching between user accounts unless you were specifically choosing for it to do that from the start menu.

If you are using Windows XP and already are an administrator, then you wouldn't get any options when running it.

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well, the repairman didn't talk to us about anything. My mom keeps saying that one reason I guess was her fault, she had him look at her computer really quick before leaving, and he was in a hurry too.
I guess it could be that I was somehow be switching between users. Since I do not know how to do all that- like what commands make it do that. See, I know that like whenever we accidently hit certain things on the remote control for our tv's, vcr/dvd combo unit, all that stuff, it can cause things to go crazy and you have no idea what you have hit accidently and how to stop from doing what is going on, or even what it's referred to as to what is going on.
I have no idea if I accidently setup accounts, I don't remember doing them. The other thing is that with my health issues going on, I have alot of memory problems. Just got over having Hep A on top of other things going on, and it caused me to have to relearn so many things in life and caused me to be really confused about everything too. So, I could have accidently did some things and not know what I was doing.
I have no idea if I'm setup as administrator. How do I tell if I am? Here is what happens if I hit ctrl, alt, delete, and it comes up with that Windows Task Manager, and if I click on the Users tab, it says User: DELL\AmyR
Then it also says for the other things there- ID: 0, Status: Active, Client Name: Nothing is listed there, and then Session: Console
Then under processes, it's got 49 listed there, and under User Name column it has AmyR listed for some of them, some say System, some say Local Service.
Also, if I right click on My Computer Icon, and then go to Properties, and then after that I go to the Advanced Tab: like I had said in one of my previous posts, about all the things listed under User Profiles:
1. Account Unknown
2. Dell\Administrator
3. Dell\AmyR
The other weird thing is it tells the dates modified for each, and for the Dell\AmyR one it has today's date 8/29/2009. So, if I'm correct, am I logged in not as an adminstrator since like what I just mentioned above what it says when I hit ctrl, alt, delete and then the user tab it says Users: Dell\AmyR?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You can still be logged on as an Administrator without actually using the "Administrator" account... Most likely the AmyR account has been assigned administrative privileges. You can check by heading off to the Control Panel > User Accounts. It will tell you what you are under there.

For the information under the task manager, it all sounds pretty standard fare. Also you can delete the "Account Unknown" under User Profiles as it's obviously shot.

Cheers

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok, here is what the problem is:
I did go to User Accounts under Control Panel, and AmyR is not listed there at all.
Neither are any of the other things that are listed in the User Profiles.
But the Account Unkown seems to be working. It says like size, type, status, modified, and then the information for each same as the other accounts that are listed there. So, I'm afraid if any important files are somehow only saved under that account, then if I delete it, the files will go too.
Ok, how do I make sure AmyR has been assigned administrative privliges? Is there a way for me to change the settings if it doesn't have the privliges? I don't know if you are not understanding that this is my computer.
But like I said, I have no idea what all this stuff even means. That is why I'm trying to ask questions so I can understand what it is related to. I don't know if it's something I accidently did. Like I said, there are so many things I can accidently hit and cause something to happen and not have any idea what I just hit to cause the problem to start happening. Especially when I don't even know what all the commands/functions to do certain things are.

Thanks,
Amy

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
List all users you find under User Accounts in the Control Panel.

If you can't find any, take a screenshot and upload it.

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok, I have got both actually, so you can see what is under user accounts, and user profiles.

Attached Thumbnails

• useraccounts.JPG
  • userprofiles.JPG

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Your login name and display name are different for some reason. One is Amy and the other is AmyR. Both lead to the same account, and you are an administrator on your system with no password assigned.

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
So, which one is the login and which is the display? Anyway to tell what is which one is what? Plus why is there 3 accounts listed though since I'm the only one who uses it, and there is that one that says Account Unknown, and you can see how all of them have a size by them too.
So, since my computer doesn't have much memory in the first place, I'm concerned that this could be affecting things. Like if it's trying to run the same programs/software for all 3 accounts or something.
The only other thing that still seems weird, is if there isn't a password for the accounts, why when I got locked out that time and I tried not typing in any password at all, and it wouldn't let me in.
The only things I can think of is, before I got locked out, I've been trying so many different things to solve other problems going on with the computer, something I accidentally did incorrect since I don't understand all the functions/commands that every function/command does, then I could have done something by mistake. I don't know until I try/do something what it will do.
Due to health issues I have, some of the problems I have affect my memory, and some recent problems that developed and still affecting me have caused me to have to relearn so many things in life too and still having alot of problems in some areas. That's why I'm thinking I could have accidentally done something wrong, so as you can see what I'm saying how if I accidentally hit some buttons by mistake on top of the memory problems caused by my health problems could be the cause of some of these things.

Advertisements

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I just went to look and see what it says if I go to Control Panel and then to the User Accounts and click on Amy, here is what options it gives me of things to do.
Change my name
Create a password
Change my picture
Change my account type
Set up my account to use a .NET Passport

Then I decided to see what it says if I click on Change my name, and here is what that does. It brings up another window that says Provide a new name for your account.
Then it has a box to type in but right above the box it says This name will appear on the Welcome Screen and on the Start Menu. In the box, there is already something typed there: Amy.
So, it sounds like it has nothing to do with the login name.

Also, I don't know if this helps at all to know this:
Another thing I noticed, you know how when you press ctrl, alt, delete it brings up the Windows Task Manager? Then if I click on the Users tab, it lists who is logged in, and it says DELL\AmyR which seems to be the last account it lists in the User Profiles section.
Here is a picture of it. I did a screen shot of what I'm looking at just in case.

Attached Thumbnails

• windowstaskmanager.JPG

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So it looks like your login name is AmyR, and the name set to display is Amy. You are the only user logged on to the machine.

You are also the only user with an account on the machine. (Excluding the administrator account which is built in to every Windows installation - hidden).

Does this make sense now? Am I missing something, or any more questions/problems?

Cheers

Troy

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
But what about the one that says Unknown Account? Why does one say Unknown Account?

Not sure if I understand it totally because back when the locked message came up, here is what it said in between the quotes:
"
This computer is in use and has been locked. Only AMY\AmyR(Amy) or an administrator can unlock this computer."
Then it had 2 boxes, one to enter in a username and the other for the password and then 2 buttons Ok and cancel.

If AmyR is my login name, why does it also have Amy and Administrator there. So, as you can see, it lists 3 names- AMY in all caps, AmyR(Amy) and then Administrator. And when I tried entering them in, and no Password at all.
Like if I put AmyR in the Username box, and then nothing in the password box, or if I put Amy in the Username box and no password. I also tried Administrator in the username box and no password.
it still would not accept anything at all. Kept coming up with the message over and over again and wouldn't let me in.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have to admit I don't know why "Unknown Account" profiles appear like that, but I found plenty on Google for you.

Microsoft page link - click here to read it

Some highly-technical talk from another forum, just so you can see how complex the issue is to recover:
[quote name='http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-xp/28743-copying-account-unknown-user-profile-good-user-account.html']This worked for me

Lo in to the machine as administrator
Run registry editor
Highlight HKEY_USERS
Click File then Load Hive
Select NTUser.dat in the unknown account folder in Documents & Settings
When prompted for Key Name enter anything, it dosen't really matter
Right click on the newly created key then select permissions
Add the new user you want to use this profile and delete the unknown account
Click File then Unload Hive
You should now be able to copy the entire unknown accounts folder contents
to the new accounts folder - you may need to check the NTFS permissions of
the unknown accounts folder if you have any problems

Good Luck...[/quote]

In summary, if you don't know what the account is and don't have any of your data missing (you know, like "I used to have some pictures but now I can't find them"), then it's safe to delete the unknown account. Otherwise if there is stuff missing, you'd have to get the Tech back out to retrieve it for you.

AmyR2

AmyR2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Wow, a lot of stuff and I don't have any idea on how to do it.
Like running the registry editor. I have no idea how to even get to the registry.
I also have no idea how to login as administrator. Do I just turn on the computer as I always do and hope I'm logged in as administrator?
Oh and you know how so many things also say to backup the registry before even working with it. How do you even do that? I assume I need to put it on a disc, is that correct? But not sure how exactly to do that. Like is it one big file I put on the disc or is it several files I have to put on the disc?

I'm afraid to just go and delete the Account Unknown since it has stuff in it. I'm afraid it will remove important stuff. How do I tell what stuff it will be removing? Is there a way to tell what files and folders are in that account?

Yes, things are missing, but since the repairman was really confused in the first place on a lot of things when he brought it back, plus it's been so long too, my mom doesn't really want him back out. One of the things he was confused on is he said he couldn't find the favorites. Also, a lot of my accounts on websites that were working before he took the computer are no longer working. When I tried to get him to help me out, he seemed to not know what to even do when there were certain things it was not allowing me to do when trying to get my accounts working again and filling out the forms on the sites.

Plus the repairman we used before this guy we used, broke my scanner by deleting some stuff. Then when we called them for the problem, he didn't even remember anything at all. So, couldn't retrieve the files. So, that is one of the big reasons we don't use the previous one anymore.