Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my product key won't work

• Please log in to reply

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I have XP home OEM version. I got a new motherboard and had to repair windows for it to work. I borrowed a retail version of the CD and did a repair installation. Now it wants the product key, but when I put in the key that came on my original oem version it says invalid key. When I called to get activated I gave them the numbers and the voice recording said that they couldn't do that on my machine.

I repaired it a couple of weeks ago using spotmau and got windows working but had to call in for the activation then. There were still some hiccups in it so I decided to be safe and just go ahead and repair install it using the borrowed windows XP disc (as was advised on this board). But now when I call in for activation it says the machine is ineligible or something like that.

What should I do?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can't use OEM product keys with Retail disks.
Likewise you can't use Retail keys with OEM disks.
Your only resolution is to do another repair with an OEM disk.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
you cannot use your OEM key to activate a retail version of xp,
the OEM key is locked to the bios it was installed on,

the xp cd you reinstalled on - are you sure it was retail ?

have a look on the cd can you read 'Only for distribution with a new PC' through the holograph ? = OEM
is it a 'named' brand cd (e.g. dell) = OEM

if its an original holograph and does not say 'Only for distribution with a new PC' then it a retail version

if it says 'upgrade' then its retail

these are the easiest way of distinguishing the difference

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
The product key is for my OEM disc that was originally installed on my computer. But OEM discs won't let you repair install. So the advice given to me on here was to borrow someone else's XP retail disc to repair it.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

When you changed the mobo, you effectively made a new system thus, it is illegal and against Microsoft's OEM EULA to use the XP Home OEM cd now. That cd is foreever married to the original mobo and can never be used on any other system.

Now, before you say you bought it fair and square, :) all you bought with the OEM cd was the right to use the software.

You now get to go out and buy a new XP install cd.

Murray

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
so why was I told on here to borrow a friend's retail CD?

Plus, you can't hardly FIND retail CDs anywhere!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Then, unless it is a Microsoft Retail cd (big bucks) and not an OEM (cheaper), you are going to need a new XP install cd as that cd is forever married to the original system it was installed on. Since you changed the mobo, that system is now a "new" system as far as Microsoft is concerned and use of that cd is against their EULA.

Murray

This is what you were told by both myself and the other member assisting you.

You were also advised that you had to use the exact same type of install cd.. OEm or retail.. Home or Pro.

You get to buy another cd. You don't have to buy a retail version as you can get OEM's cheaper, but the second you install it on the new mobo, you can never use that cd on any other system again.

Murray

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

There is no other way to repair without a cd.
Borrow one from someone.
It has to be the same type as what you have Home or Pro
If you can't buy a new copy or borrow a copy then you other choice is to buy a HD and reload everything to it. You will still need a XP to do this as the OEM version is usually married to the original MOBO it was installed to.

--------------------

I assumed from this (since I made it clear I had an OEM disc) that I could borrow someone else's retail cd. I do appreciate the time spent helping me, I know that it is free help and that you sacrificed to help others. I'm not pooh poohing on that at all. Just wanted to show that I'm not crazy or stupid. lol

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You aren't and you would be surprised at how many people get stuck with useless OEM cd's after doing major upgrades.

They do have their purpose, but retail cd's allow for multiple re-installs or the ability to transfer the license to another system.

Murray

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As I stated also the OEM is married to the MOBO.
If you can't borrow a cd that is the same as yours Home or Pro there is NO WAY TO FIX IT
No where in my statement did I say that a retail version would replace your OEM Reg number.
My final statement in the quote you posted is:
You will still need a XP to do this as the OEM version is usually married to the original MOBO it was installed to.
I made it very clear about the situation. HERE is the original topic and MurrayS also states the same at the beginning of the topic.
I also stated the fact that you would need to purchase a new copy and they are still available through NewEgg for the Retail Version
Tigerdirect has the OEM version