Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not starting

• Please log in to reply

maroon5

maroon5

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello.
My father was downloading something from one of the websites from where he does his share trading. Now, what has happened is that the computer is not starting normally anymore. It gets stuck just after the welcome screen, before any icons are displayed. Earlier it showed a warning for a coupe of times which said "The instruction at 0x77e7ddf1 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate".
Now it says " Window explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" and then it gets stuck.

Right now I am writing this message by running FF using the task manager.. No icons are showing up.

Advertisements

maroon5

maroon5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
And the same happens in safe mode too. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

maroon5

maroon5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you so much rshaffer61. I am not able to download it in my PC. I will get to some other PC and do it

Edited by maroon5, 14 August 2009 - 05:28 AM.

maroon5

maroon5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Can I manually remove one RAM stick at a time to see if there is anything wrong with them?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without knowing for sure which memory and MOBO you have it is difficult to say.
If it is a newer MOBO within the last 3 years then I would say yes you should be able to remove one stick and still run the Memtest

Turn the system off and open the case (looking from the front it would be the left side panel)
Make sure you ground yourself by touching a non painted metal surface on the system before reaching into it to remove the memory.

Yes you can download the file to another computer and then proceed with the steps to make the cd from there.
Once done then start the system with the issue and put the cd in.
From there then follow the directions to make sure the boot sequence is set so that the cdrom is the first boot device.

maroon5

maroon5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Although I am going to my friend today to take the software, I tried running my PC 1 RAM at a time and it still showed the error. Can it mean that the problem is somewhere else ( Unless both the RAMs are bad)

maroon5

maroon5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks a lot rshaffer61!!!

Its fine now.. I did a system restore and now its working smoothly. I think explorer.exe got corrupted by some way

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible