Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer turns on, but shows a black screen

• Please log in to reply

Jay386

Jay386

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is a Dell 2400 Desktop, it's about 6 years old, running on Windows XP. It has been working fine, up until yesterday. I start it up. The screen light is on, the pc is on as well. But yet, i don't see a windows startup logo, it's just all black.

I've looked up every forum I could on dell and windows and no luck.

The following are some of the things i've done to see if i could get it to start normally:

1. i opened up the pc and switch the Ram to slot B, and it still does the same thing.
2. I've unplugged the batter from the inside, no luck.
3. I've cleaned out all the dust bunnies, no luck
4. There are little tiny green lights in the back of the pc,labled ABCD next to the vgs outlet, they're all lit up.

HELP! =-) i've run out of ideas

Advertisements

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi Jay386,

This is a Dell 2400 Desktop, it's about 6 years old, running on Windows XP. It has been working fine, up until yesterday. I start it up. The screen light is on, the pc is on as well. But yet, i don't see a windows startup logo, it's just all black.

So what your saying is your staring at a Black screen, instead of a Windows Login screen ?

The following are some of the things i've done to see if i could get it to start normally:
1. i opened up the pc and switch the Ram to slot B, and it still does the same thing.
2. I've unplugged the batter from the inside, no luck.
3. I've cleaned out all the dust bunnies, no luck
4. There are little tiny green lights in the back of the pc,labled ABCD next to the vgs outlet, they're all lit up.

Don't know why you'd do all that, no worries however.
Get your hands on another Monitor if possible to see if you still get the "Black Screen", if not it's your monitor.
With all the tinkering you may have dislodged the Video Card out of it's slot, or your Computer has had a knock and that happened since you last booted your machine. Check that your Video Card is seated into the expansion Slot properly.
Please turn OFF your Computer before attempting anything with the case OFF.
Remove the Power lead from the wall socket.

Check the lead from your Monitor is pushed into the Computer, and Monitor, firmly and attached.
Then we can eliminate some factors if the problem persists. :)