Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can' t boot

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you done the steps in my previous post?
Post #9

Advertisements

knoker

knoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well yes, but..

4. There are eight commands you must enter in sequence to repair any of the issues I noted in the opening of this guide.
I will introduce them here, and then show the results graphically in the next six steps.
NOTE. Make sure, you press Enter after each command. Make sure, all commands are exact, including "spaces".
These commands are as follows:

CD..
ATTRIB -H C:\\boot.ini
ATTRIB -S C:\\boot.ini
ATRIB -R C:\\boot.ini

The tree commands... When I entered them the sofware answered that it can't find that file or the command dos not exist someting like that.. - The system cannot find the file or directory specifield.(I tryed more thatn once and whrited correctly).

I have a pic on my phone, but my PC won't show me the phones memory card.. What the...? Offten it would popup a window assking what do I wana do - play,open, close...

And when I insert a CD in PC's CDROM it is booting, but the PC is not poping up the window nomater what's the cd's type(CD/DVD R,RW) like mp3 or doc files or setups(games)..
Can we fix that ? - I want that when I insert a CD in the CDROM a window pops up! that i don't need to go to my computer..

Or in this case with my phone it even wont show the phones memory card at my computer lot.. nice.. :@

Edited by knoker, 19 August 2009 - 09:20 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you followed the steps you have to reboot the system and the system should say push any key to boot to cdrom
If not then you will need to go into the bios and change the boot sequence.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over.

Now start following the steps from post #9

knoker

knoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
okey, thanks for your post! I'll will check it after 2h.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem :)

knoker

knoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
okey.. now I have been offored 2 operating systems to start windows... I need to get rid of the 1.st one right? and the nod32 still won't start.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So, even with all services and startup items disabled NOD32 won't load in normal mode?
NOD32 still loads in Safe Mode right?

okey.. now I have been offored 2 operating systems to start windows... I need to get rid of the 1.st one right?

I'm not that familiar with editing the boot.ini file, so rshaffer will get back to you on that.

Try uninstalling NOD32 in safe mode, and then try reinstalling it in safe mode too. Keep the msconfig as it is now and try loading NOD32 in normal mode.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please do the following in the exact steps. Failure to do so could make the boot.ini damaged and cause unstable or unusable results with your system.:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.

knoker

knoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
When i launch ESET egui.exe in safe mode, it offers only a scan, and I can't uninstall nod32 in safemode, i don't have the rights or somting like that(error)..

Boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Profesional" /fastdetect /noexecute=opin
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="n" BOOTCFG /REBUILD

Edited by knoker, 19 August 2009 - 03:04 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try uninstalling in normal mode then... install in safe mode.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

When i launch ESET egui.exe in safe mode, it offers only a scan, and I can't uninstall nod32 in safemode, i don't have the rights or somting like that(error)..

Boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=20
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Profesional" /fastdetect /noexecute=opin
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="n" BOOTCFG /REBUILD

Highlighted line needs to be deleted.
Make sure you backed it up as instructed earlier.
When you are finished the boot.ini should look like this below.

[boot loader]
timeout=20
[operating systems]

knoker

knoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well yes, that I understand, but I don't understand how can i get rid of it.. how to delete it ?

Ah.. F*** the nod32 my patience is over =D I got a AVG av, and it works great.

ps. don't know whats the time at your country/city but in mine it's 1:12 so no more reply's from me in next 8h, need sleep. =)

Edited by knoker, 19 August 2009 - 04:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
6:00pm here right now.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 in post #23
Highlight and delete the line I suggested.
Click File then click Save
Close Notepad and now Reboot the system.
You should now boot straight into Windows with no choice having to be made.
Let us know how everything works.
Have a good nights sleep and we will be here tomorrow for you.

knoker

knoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Good morning =D ...

Yep, that was so easy...

Well now it leaves 3 things that bother me!
I hope we can fix em.

1. Wheb I enter my CD(cd,dvd, r or rw) I won't get a optional popup to choose a action! How to fix that, if i allready have everyting set in the settings but still not working ?
Posted Image
2. USB port! I connect my Sony Ericsson K550i to my computer with usb port press the file transfer option, then it loeads, and then the computer needs to popup 2 actions to choose - phones memory and memory stick! but thats not happening! AND the PC won't even show em in the ''My Copmuter'' place..
3. I have 4 usb ports 2 in back and 2 in front. The 1 usb port in front - when I enter a Flash(mini datatraveler) I get this: ''USB Device Not Recognized'', now at some forums they wrote that you need to unplug your power... =D http://www.online-te...not-recognized/ ya i tryed it, didn't work for me.
And the other port in front won't do anyting when i inser a flash device.. why is that? BOOT.ini fu**** them up ? =D

Edited by knoker, 20 August 2009 - 03:11 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

1. Wheb I enter my CD(cd,dvd, r or rw) I won't get a optional popup to choose a action! How to fix that, if i allready have everyting set in the settings but still not working ?

I assume what you mean is you don't want the popup to happen.
To stop this you see that little line at the bottom that says "Prompt me each time to choose and action"?
Unclick that bad boy.
Try it now and depending on what you are trying to do like listen to a cd. Just associate the music format to the player program. Like mp3 or cd audio to Windows Media Player