Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slowwwwwwww startup

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi, I have eliminated almost all the start up programs in this PC, There may be two items I left, I have removed software, removed spyware and tried everything I can think of. When this PC boots It is 10 minutes before i can do anything. I need some more ideas besides formatting the drive. Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Picky...

Is it only the startup that's slow or do applications also open more slowly than they should? Does the machine just seem very sluggish overall?

wannabe1

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Sorry, I should have explained it more. It boots into windows just fine. You can start task manager, right click any where and get a response, but drag the cursor to the task bar and you have a hour glass that will last for 10 12 minutes. While waiting I have run MSCONFIG and other small utilities, but again drag the cursor to the task bar and there is the hour glass. I have closed everything, run malwarebytes, CC cleaner, spybot. I can't put my finger on the problem.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

dylangle3

dylangle3

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have ccleaner installed on my system.
with it I fix and manage my startup programs and systems. Will also allow you clean up your system in one click.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have completed Three different malware scans, some several times after rebooting. The reports and logs I reviewed are clean of any malware, rootkits, virus. I have explored the eventviewer, closed all startup programs, explored all processes not needed and closed. In other words I have been through this system with a fine tooth comb and it is the cleanest I have seen in a long time.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You should still visit the Malware Removal forum to get your logs viewed by Experts