Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS3 - DD True-HD - How to get true-HD?

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok I know nothing to do with PC's and in fact the PC's enemy (I for one until recently loathed consoles being a dedicated PC gamer but the PS3 has still not budged me I only use it for bluray my little bro got it for gaming), right so the PS3. It ahs optical out on the back and HDMI out. Right first up the hardware I am using: PS3 with some random HDMI cable (from tesco technika HDMI is digital signal so it shouldnt affect sound or picture quality?), Samsung LE46A556P1F (it has 3 HDMI inputs ermm optical audio out hese are the 2 main connections I think I need to worry about? Please let me know if you need more info on this TV, Sony DAV-SC8 5.1 (link: http://www.sony.co.u...-player/dav-sc8. Now I hav got the PS3 connected to the TV via HDMI now form what I have read it seems to get true hd audio it can only be acheieved over the HDMI cable. Int his case do I then route the optical cable i have ordered that is on its way to me in the post form the tv to the 5.1? And does the surround sound system need to support it?

Advertisements

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
A reply would be nice? BUMP

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first...don't bump your threads...it doesn't help you get help faster

If its been 3 days or more, please post Here, with a link to your original topic.

If it hasn’t been three days, try to remain calm, and remember we are all volunteers here, and we do have our own personal lives and responsibilities. There are hundreds of other uses also waiting for help as well :)

second...your post is relatively incomprehensible.... what is your concern? getting surround sound out of the ps3 into the TV? or getting HD video out of the ps3?

if it's the sound....then you would want to go directly from the PS3 to whatever sound system you're using to accomplish surround sound...if your TV is doing the surround on it's own (didn't check the tv specs to see if it's capable of doing that)...then you should just need to connect the ps3 to the TV (the HDMI cable will bring all the audio in so no need for an extra cable)....if however you've got a different receiver in your entertainment center that does the surround sound...then you'll need to go from the PS3 to the receiver to get surround sound..

of course...if you're not actually set up for 5.1 (i.e. have all the speakers etc)...then it doesn't matter one way or the other

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
The topic title asks this: PS3 - DD True-HD - How to get true-HD? - DD True-HD IS audio!! Let me make it crystal clear. I want to acheive the following: DD True-HD. Now I asked how to do that. From what I have read that requires the HDMI cable to go directly into the audio equipment. That audio setup I linked (Sony DAV-SC8 5.1) is 5.1 as the link shows and as the name Sony DAV-SC8 5.1 shows. I would like to know how to get DD True-HD with my equipment from my 5.1 setup and if this is possible as it seems to be a format like DTS etc (I assume DD is Dolby Digital?). The HDMI cable currently goes directly to the TV - TV speakers are simply stereo (please correct me if I am wrong) so therfore the TV's speakers have nothing to do with my question. I am wdonering if I need to connect the optical cable from the PS3 to the 5.1 setup or from the TV to the 5.1 setup to get DD True-HD? The 5.1 is also a DVD player so is connected to the TV via scart, it has no other inputs such as HDMI etc (it has optical in/out and stereo in/out). The PS3 is connected to the TV via the HDMI cable and the result is picture and audio but no aduio over the 5.1 setup (I doubt it can take the audio from the HDMI to the TV then output through the scart into what is essentially (well to the TV anyway) a DVD player? Thank you for your reply and sorry for bumping my post (but it worked didnt it I got a reply :) ) I did not know about the 3 day thing I will use that next time I have to wait for 3 days or longer - I apologise; once again many thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first...not exactly sure why you think it's necessary to reply with a crappy attitude attached to your post... if i couldn't understand exactly what you were asking for...then there's a good chance that others couldn't...which would explain why your thread was going unanswered.... we're all volunteers here and we help because we like doing it...and it makes it difficult to enjoy what we do when people have bad attitudes about the FREE help that they are receiving

looking at the manual for the AV system (which is virtually useless by the way...that manual is garbage)...i don't see anything about an optical audio input...there's an optical video input....but it doesn't say if it's got audio (the way it's labeled anyway)...

when you watch TV...does it play the audio from the TV through the surround speakers correctly?
do you have the TV hooked up the way the manual suggests? like cables going from your cable box/satellite/whatever into the AV thing...then from there...just taking the video to the TV?

JUST based on the drawings and such from the manual...i'm not seeing much of a way to get your ps3 to actually send sound to the contraption through either DIM OR through fiber optic cable.....unless I'm completely wrong and the optical port on the back of the AV contraption is audio (again crappy documentation)...if you hook the PS3 to the TV through HDMI...then route the audio from the TV to the receiver...i think it's going to go to 2.1 surround by nature of it having to go through RCA audio cables there (right and left channel)...again...if I'm completely wrong about that optical port...then you could very easily connect the HDMI cable to the TV for the video portion...then connect the fiber between the ps3 and the av system directly...the fiber connection should be more than capable of delivering the full signal in 5.1 from the ps3...considering that's the reason they started using fiber in av equipment