Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frozen in chkdsk

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how much ram do you have installed...
use the task manager again and this time click on the performance tab and get us another screenshot please..
how much free space does the C drive have...

Advertisements

krae13937

krae13937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Should I just uninstall Norton? I have a feeling something is wrong with it. Just acting weird w/updates and stuff. I disabled the protection and FW earlier, but it kept on turning itself back on. Not a way to shut it off that I can find. Don't like that.
I have used AVG before. I was reading on this site that AVG is not as popular anymore, but I am familiar with it, so would be easier. I loaded Avast on a friend's computer and it confused me; wasn't sure if it was working properly. but I didn't spend alot of time with it.
I will load whichever you say, so just let me know. I'm not doing anything with the computer, was waiting to hear back from you. It is frozen right now.

Thanks,
Kim

krae13937

krae13937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
hard drive - free space 372GB, total 460 GB

Intel Core™2 CPU
6600 @ 2.4GHz
2.39 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

krae13937

krae13937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
performance

Attached Thumbnails

• performance.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
download AVG first...don't install it yet though...then go here download and run the norton removal tool...reboot and then install AVG...
norton is a huge drain on resources...

I still suspect the hard drive is malfunctioning though...if it continues to freeze up...run chkdsk /r until it does not find and fix any errors...

krae13937

krae13937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok - doing now (Norton and AVG)

krae13937

krae13937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Norton uninstalled and AVG installed. One question though - ID protection not working. Is this normal or is something wrong?

Do I run chkdsk /r by doing the start, run and typing that in?

I was able to do this w/out it freezing.

krae13937

krae13937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok- i found out the ID prot is not free, so that's fine.
I typed in chkdsk /r into run and I shut down and restarted. It said it was fine and went to windows. It was realy fast though. Is this normal? Did I do it right?

krae13937

krae13937

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I ran an AVG scan and it froze.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system failures.. the other two are heat (usually caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...
first...unplug case from the wall...open it up and clean out all the dust bunnies...be sure to clean the cpu heatsink fins up real good.....guide is here..

then lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here..

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A:
first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:

or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....
let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

Advertisements