Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Recurring Windows Explorer Closedown Pop-up with My Documents and Exte

• Please log in to reply

Capitol 203

Capitol 203

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there,

I'm encountering a recurring problem with trying to access My Document and external hard drive folders. I keep receiving the Windows Explorer closedown pop up every time I try to open a file in these folders.
I thought it was the Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger Acebot Trojan. However after spending a week running various removal software under the guidance of Handhfan over on the Malware Removal Forum, we now believe it may be some other problem.

I've used the hard drive successfully with no shutdowns on my brand new Acer machine (delivered on Wednesday). All the files were scanned with F-Secure Internet Security and no threats were found.

Could anybody give me some help as to what the problem may be please. I've attached a screen shot of the closedown pop up and the error report for you to view.

Many thanks.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Prt.doc   70KB   13 downloads

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If this only happens in one folder and the same thing happens on multiple machines, one of the files in the folder in question is causing it, and/or the folder is corrupt.
Typically a file is corrupt, damaged, incorrectly assigned to work with one program when it's meant to be assigned with another. If the folder's corrupt it may be caused by a defective user account, damaged copy of Windows, security permissions, etc.

Capitol 203

Capitol 203

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Neil,

Thanks for replying to me...

I suspect it's something more than just corrupt files.

In preparation for the arrival of my new machine I'd moved all my folders from my old laptop onto the external hard drive so nothing of importance was left in C:My Documents. However to test the corrupt hard drive theory I've dragged a number of random files back into a new C:drive folder. Sure enough once I try to access them, the pop up appears and shuts the folder down again.

I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the fact that there's music/ video files in these folders? It doesn't seem to happen where there's say Word or Excel files or email favourite links in a sub folder that I access.

Any ideas??

Cheers