Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

downgrading from vista to xp cam driver not showing

• Please log in to reply

laurennicole88

laurennicole88

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i recently had a friend install xp on my dell inspiron 1525 special edition after a service pack update for vista from dell crashed my system (weird, i know)

he forgot to download some of the drivers from the driver cd i have, but downloaded the cd for reinstalling webcam.

On the drivers cd i downloaded the integrated webcam and restarted, but the cam shows not connected and it does not show in the device manager. the applications for it downloaded but it wont detect the integrated cam

its creative labs integrated cam, i went online and downloaded the driver but had the same results.

any advice is greatly appreciated

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry for the long wait... everyone's quite busy.

You mention you installed the Creative driver, and I did some research about your problem, but without knowing what drivers you already tried (version), its difficult to know what drivers I can recommend for you. Have you tried any other drivers besides Creative and the one on the Dell CD?

If you open Device Manager, are there any exclamation or question marks showing up?

laurennicole88

laurennicole88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i tried 2 off the web and the same result, not explanation, nothing at all like it never installed. im trying to find out which driver version is on the cd but im having trouble

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You forgot to answer this question...
If you open Device Manager, are there any exclamation or question marks showing up?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Also, if I can add, do you have access to another computer to try the camera, just to rule out the camera has failed or not?

laurennicole88

laurennicole88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i did answer, theres no explanation or exclamation. and its an integrated camera, in the computer

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, I guess I just misunderstood by the way you answered the question.

Let me ask you one more question before we go on. Does the camera even show up in Device Manager?

laurennicole88

laurennicole88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
does not show in the device manager

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok.

Numerous investigations lead to THIS driver. However, you may only be able to install it if the camera actually shows up in Device Manager. If Windows doesn't even know the camera exists (nothing in Device Manager as it is now), then it won't know how to use the driver.

What you can try is to go to Control Panel>Add Hardware and let Windows try to detect the camera. Hopefully, it'll find it and install it using the driver you installed. If not hopefully it'll detect the camera and at least put an “unknown” in Device Manager.

If you get the unknown, then you might be able to fix it by right clicking on the yellow question mark, then click on “update driver”. Windows will ask to connect to the internet, so allow it to do so (this time only). Windows will update and your camera will appear as a “usb image device” or something similar. Reboot your computer and then install the driver you downloaded.

If this isn't clear instruction, or it doesn't work, let me know.

laurennicole88

laurennicole88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
well i just talked to the not so nice anymore "friend" who put xp on my laptop a couple days ago and he said he might of missed some things but is bailing out when it comes to helping... this and my usb ports not working are enough to drive me back to vista and wait for OS7 (i know its out but i want to wait for all the kinks to work out) but i dunno yet....

i checked under add hardware and nothing is in there

Advertisements

laurennicole88

laurennicole88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
oh and i already had that driver

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hmmm... very unfortunate he won't help you now. However, I'll take whatever time it takes to fix this problem with you if I can. I've been known to spend weeks helping people on this website, so I don't give up very easily as long as the OP doesn't.

One of the problems with downgrading a laptop from Vista to XP is that a lot of times the correct drivers aren't available. Many OEM manufactures (like Dell, HP, etc), don't supply downgrade drivers leaving people to forums and research to find how to install XP... not to mention the frustration they go through. Fortunately though, many succeed, and leave trails searchable via Google.

The correct way to install a Windows OS is... (I've stated this all over this website and I did it again just TODAY)...

Install the OS
Install the SM Bus controller driver (CHIPSET DRIVER)
Install all other drivers in any order

Now the situation is... we don't know if this "friend" of yours installed the OS in the above order. If he didn't, then it may explain why you're experiencing the problems with both the camera, and your usb hubs. You didn't mention the hubs before, but now that you have, it may be why the cameras not working (ref my last reply about it being a "usb image device").

There are several options available...
Research and fix the USB problem... and hopefully fix the camera at the same time
Repair XP
Reinstall XP

Since this is a brand new install, I'm going to guess you don't have much data on this computer right now. Do you?

Also, do you have the XP install disc in case you have to try a repair/reinstall?

Lastly for now, can you post a screen capture of Device Manager. If you need a screen capture software, there's a link to Printscreen in my signature.

laurennicole88

laurennicole88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Posted Image

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hmmm... you must have not read my Post #2 very well. :)

Thanks for the photo... can you take another and post it here, but this time, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers by clicking on the + sign. I need to read what's there.

laurennicole88

laurennicole88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
no idea what u mean by that, i apologize if things dont communicate well but i do have certain disabilities that effect my ability to process information

here u go
Posted Image