Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing fonts in Vista

• Please log in to reply

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I can't seem to remove fonts in Vista, I have UAC disabled. There is not even the usual R-click menu inside the Fonts Folder. So Tools like Unlocker can't be used. There are lots of fonts with strange Chinese and other characters that I want to delete since I'm installing new fonts which seems to be possible (instead of uninstalling). I always get these messages

Posted Image Posted Image

and I'm not even trying to delete a standard font ... or like since when is this Batang & BatangChe etc.. a standard font ? Would it be possible in safe mode perhaps ?

Edited by JimB007, 15 August 2009 - 01:37 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Fonts have to be uninstalled: http://windowshelp.m...2bde301033.mspx

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks, but it doesn't work for me. BTW I tried that method from the link b4 I posted (from another link). My experience is that if the font can't be deleted just by going to the "fonts" folder in Windows, and hitting the delete button or R-clicking and choosing delete, the given font just can't be deleted by any other method. All fonts that I added can be deleted of course. Could it be that the majority of other fonts are considered as systenm fonts to windows ? I think some 500 fonts is a bit over the top !

Edited by JimB007, 15 August 2009 - 06:13 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're correct. I just checked my Vista, and those fonts ARE Vista default fonts.
I didn't add any new ones, and I have 506 of them.

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
So the one's I can delete are not default fonts ?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes.

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
At the moment I'm at 493, included some 50 that I added. On the other hand I just go to the Windows/fonts folder, doubleclick the font to see it if it's good looking I keep it (why did I bother to look up software to check the font if the standard Windows fonts viewer does it's job quite good). If it's not good looking, I hit the delete button and that's it.