Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backup CD for OS

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Recently I thought I had lost, misplaced, etc. my WIN XP HOME CD. This is not a recovery cd but the retail version. To allow for my faulty memory, I thought I'd make a backup copy. When I tested the copy by having it in the CDROM at bootup, it was not seen by the computer. Yet when I accessed the CDROM from within Windows, it asked if I wanted to install. What step did I miss in making a backup. If something goes wrong, I won't have Windows to install from.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You forgot the windows boot sector from the windows XP CD. The easiest way to get this is to download the file wxp10.zip from one of the links on http://www.nu2.nu/do...sFile=wxp10.zip.

There's a tutorial here.

http://www.howtohave...setupdisk.shtml

SRX660

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I printed out the tutorial as I want to read and re-read more than a few times. If I download the file that's missing, how would I insert into my CD? This sounds somewhat easier than retrieving my OS from the hard drive.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have used Nlite with great success to slipstream all updates plus adding all the specific drivers i need for each computer.

What nLite, a free slipstreaming utility, can do:

* Pre-configure and tweak Windows—Nearly every power-user setting, from hidden file showing to deep registry hacks, can be set from the get-go.
* Pre-install drivers and printers—No more searching through the Nvidia, ATI, or printer manufacturers' sites for the exact package after install.
* Strip your system for speed—Adam's already showed us how nLite can help you trim Windows to its bare essentials, which not only saves disk space and frees up memory, but saves you the time of disabling and removing the superfluous stuff later (and clicking "Yes" on every "Are you sure ..." prompt).

http://lifehacker.co...installation-cd

SRX660

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The simplest way is to burn a new disk using the option in your burning program that copies the original disk directly to the new one. In Nero this function is called Copy Disk.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I searched the C drive and came up with 9 references to i386. Would I copy just the first one lited under C:/Windows?

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Something I should have done first: I looked at the c coy that I made and it does have an i386 folder. Does this mean it should have booted up correctly? Sorry if my questions aren't clear, this is mostly unfamiliar stuff to me.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Something you need to check first is the settings in the bios. Do you have the bios set to boot from the CD first , then the hard drive? That may be the cause for the computer to not boot from the cd the first time.

No, just because you have the i386 folder on the CD doea not mean it will boot. All the i386 folder has are all the cab files needed to install the OS. You still need the programming( boot sector) to access the i386 folder to start the installation.

SRX660

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I did check the BIOS and the CDRW is the first boot device. This checks out because if the original CD is in place, the install window comes up. In baby steps: what should my procedure be using the original cd? I have Nero 7 essentials and there is a copy disk option. Would this older version be sufficient?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Nero7 should do the job without any problem. Insert the original XP CD into the CD drive. When XP shows up, close it. Now open Nero and choose Copy Disk. In the first stage the computer will copy the content of the cd. When finished you will be asked to insert an unused CD to the drive. Please do so and the program will be copied, bit by bit, to the new CD.

Some computers have more then one CD drive, which makes the process somewhat faster. If this is the case with your computer then make sure to insert the fresh CD to the drive which is capable of burning the disk.