Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replaced laptop screen odd problem

• Please log in to reply

potatohack

potatohack

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi so it turns out that I tried to replace my dv8380's 17" WXGA dual lamp cracked monitor with a similar 17" WSXGA monitor single lamp monitor.
All i got from this replacement was a white line through the middle of the screen when i tried to turn it on.
The rest of the laptop is fine, i've tested it with an external monitor.
I ordered the "correct" parts for the WSXGA only to find out the video cable from the laptop is too short to reach the mobo. Anyone know how to adapt the wsxga to wxga? or would i just have to order a regular wxga....?
any help would be duly appreciate! thanks!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yah, unfortunately most manufactures WXGA and WSXGA monitors require different cables. Such is the case with Thinkpads too with all SXGA screens.

Unless you can find a hack for the cable somewhere on the net, you might be better off just buying the correct screen.

potatohack

potatohack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
no no you see i know that so i ordered the appropriate board and cable for the wsxga, however it seems that the appropriate cable doesnt fit the case of the current laptop... the cable from the back of the laptop doesnt reach the motherboard.
thank you for your input