Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Not sure if this is a virus but I cannot do ANYTHING

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Before I last turned my computer off it froze. Now all it will do is sit and beep when I try to turn it on, no picture or anything. It beeps like this. Beep beep.. pause... beep beep... pause... beep beep. It is a Dell Inspiron 531. Not sure if that means it is something not connected properly or if it is a virus. I am freaking out though.

• 34,114 posts
Here are the Beep Codes
Which line does it match the closest?

How to Interpret Computer Error Beep Codes

When the computer makes those funny sound via the system speaker, it's not doing it because it wants to be heard.
The computer is trying to talk to the operator/technician and tell them what's wrong.

Beep Codes:

No Beeps: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals

One Beep: Everything is normal and Computer Posted fine

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

One Long Beep, One Short Beep: Motherboard Problem

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps: Video Problem

Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error

Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps: CPU Overheating

Thanks to alandemartino for this tutorial.