Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i7 Computer Build: Fill in the Blanks?

• Please log in to reply

LogOut

LogOut

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings Everyone!

I'm interested in building a gaming computer that utilizes the Intel i7 core technology.

Quick background bio: I'm an avid gamer and I am fascinated by technology. However, iv never been able to fully utilize any games that has come out the past 3 years. Iv been stuck sticking with medium settings on most games lest I want severe lag and choppy graphics. Even under certain games, all low settings is unplayable (I'm looking at you Empire:Total War.)

My Goal: To make a reasonable affordable Desktop gaming computer that utilizes the i7 core technology and can play Crysis on High(est). On a side note, i would like to make it upgradeable and last for at least two years.

Here's the build so far:
Computer Build i7 0.0

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 (RC-932) $139.99,
or
Cooler Master COSMOS S $199.99

Motherboard: ASUS P6T-Deluxe, v2? $289.99

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 $279.99

Video Card: GeForce GTX 280 $289.99
or
Radeon HD 4770 $109.99

Memory:
OCZ Platinum Triple Channel 6 GB $119.99

Hard Drive: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB Hard Drive - 10K, 16MB $229.99
or
Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 RPM, 32MB, SATA-300 $99.99

Optical Drive:

Power Supply:

As you can see, still missing some items. That's where you guys come in. Also, i would greatly appreciate feedback, such as if this build is even compatible, any other parts you reccomend, and basically any advice you want to give.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Judging by the look of the build, a Corsair 750W Power Supply would fit in nicely there.

Also, the optical drive isn't really much of an issue. Most of them work pretty good, I'm a fan of Pioneer for their quiet operation. Just make sure to get SATA.

For the video card, the GTX is the more powerful card.

For the hard drive, it purely depends on space needed. The WD Black 1TB will actually give you a fair bit of grunt as well as loads of space. If you don't need all that space, the velociraptor runs at an insane 10,000rpm - weeeeeeeee!

Case - either is a good choice, I'd personally probably choose the HAF.

Cheers (and welcome)

Troy

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
My 2 cents:

1. For the graphics card, the GTX 280 has been replaced by the GTX 285, which runs faster, cooler, and more energy efficient. Alternatively, you could get the GTX 260 Core 216 or GTX 275. Both offer much more bang for your buck. I can run Crysis smoothly on all Very High at 1920x1080 with my GTX 260 Core 216 and a lesser CPU, so you should be fine with it unless you use a larger resolution.

2. The money you'd spend on a 10000RPM hard drive is probably better spent elsewhere. As someone who owns a both a 10000RPM hard drive and a 7200RPM hard drive on my gaming rig, I can tell you that I don't notice any difference if a game is installed on one or the other. The 10000RPM drive probably loads games a bit faster, but actual gameplay itself isn't affected. This, along with the fact that the 1TB WD Black can be had for under $70 after mail-in rebate and Bing cashback on ZipZoomFly.com, makes me definitely recommend the 1TB WD Black.

3. If you live near a Micro Center, go there to get the Core i7 920 for $199.99. (In-store pickup only)