Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sleep/Shutdown Causes Computer to Restart

• Please log in to reply

AgentXu

AgentXu

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I am running Vista 32 bit with SP2 on a Dell M1530. The computer has worked properly for the month I've had it and is (confirmed) free of viruses, malware, and rootkits thanks to the help of the staff here at Geeks To Go.

The problem I'm having now is that when I tell the computer to go to sleep or shutdown it will for a moment... only to then re-start. Occasionally Windows will tell me that the computer was shutdown improperly upon restarting.

I have adjusted the power settings with no luck.
I have returned the computer to an early restore point. It corrected the problem... then it it started again (before the updates were installed.)
I have checked and my BIOS is the latest available for my computer.
I have checked Nvidia and downloaded a new driver (NVIDIA MCP55 Package Driver V1.08) and that corrected the problem. I put the computer into sleep mode several times and shut it down to make sure it was fixed. It seemed like it was.

A few hours later I decided to try again. Lo and behold sleep mode caused a re-start. During that time the resolution on my computer was reduced while I played some games. It also switched the color scheme to basic because ZSNES isn't compatible with Aero. That is all that happened during those few hours. Nothing else was downloaded or updated so I am at a total loss as to what is causing the problem. It's obviously fixable as I've managed to do it temporarily twice.

Any suggestions or things I haven't tried? The good people at Dell (what a joke) spent two hours fiddling with the settings only to conclude with "It isn't a hardware issue. If you want software support you'll have to pay for it." This isn't causing any other issues but it is driving me crazy.

A.X.

Edited by AgentXu, 16 August 2009 - 03:26 AM.

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

I believe you may be encountering an error on Shutdown which currently isn't being displayed.

Right click "My Computer" --> Properties --> Advanced --> "Startup and Recovery"

You will see the "Automatically reboot" is enable. Disable it.

Your computer will then more than likely display a blue screen of death after turning it off. Note what it says and get back to us. Its usually just a system driver that's causing it.

AgentXu

AgentXu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I checked and the "Automatically Reboot" option isn't checked. The one that is checked is the "Write an event to the system log" box.

A.X.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Ok then,

Lets check your event log.

Go Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

In the left click on arrow next to Windows Logs

Then click on Setup

Look for the red Error entries.

Then click the entry and give me the information given. It should look like the below:

Log Name: 

Source:

Event ID:

Level:

I just need those bits.

Edited by rev_olie, 17 August 2009 - 04:58 AM.

AgentXu

AgentXu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Posted Image

I tried to put the computer to sleep and it re-started, taking me to the windows error start up screen where I have the option to start up in safe mode and all that. I just wanted to make sure there was a recent "error" for it to log. It says 0 events.

A.X.

Edited by AgentXu, 17 August 2009 - 05:17 AM.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Whoops sorry :)

I put the wrong speech up. Click System instead :)

AgentXu

AgentXu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
There are a few. Under the "Errors" Listed in Red I have the following:

Log: System
Source: Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider
EventID: 7000
Level: Error

Source: Event Log
EventID: 6008

Source: DistributedCOM
EventID: 10016

And I have one listed as "Critical."

Source: Kernel-Power
EventID: 41
Level: Critical

I hope that helps.

A.X.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hmm there is a nice mixture there i must admit.

Most seem to point to user rights on the PC.

Can you get me some more information form the Event Viewer please.
One each of the errors double click the entry.

You will then be shown a new windows with some more information in. Can you copy that information to your next reply so i can get more on the error.
See the attached image for reference.

Also just to ask have you changed your password at all on your PC, if you have one? .

Attached Thumbnails

• test.jpg

AgentXu

AgentXu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Source: DistributedCOM
EventID: 10016
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The BCM42RLY service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Source: Event Log
EventID: 6008
The previous system shutdown at 4:01:25 AM on 8/17/2009 was unexpected.

Source: Kernel-Power
EventID: 41
Level: Critical
The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition.

I haven't ever changed my password.

A.X.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Ok seems we have a permissions problem.

We will try this the Microsoft way.

• 1. Log on to the computer as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
    FIND OUT HOW HERE
  • 2. Start the Local Computer Policy snap-in.
    FIND OUT HOW HERE
  • 3. Expand Local Computer Policy, expand Computer Configuration, expand Windows Settings, and then expand Security Settings.
  • 4. Expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignment.
  • 5. In the right pane, right-click Log on as a service, and then click Properties.
  • 6. Click Add User or Group, add the user that you want to the policy, and then click OK twice.
  • 7. Close the Local Computer Policy snap-in.

Then try shutting down again.

Advertisements

AgentXu

AgentXu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Those are both for Windows XP. Is it the same as Vista?

A.X.

AgentXu

AgentXu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
gpedit.msc and secpol.msc are not on my computer. This is Vista Premium Home Edition so, according to my research, it isn't supposed to be (as they apparently didn't include that.) The suggestion has been made that the only way to do this is to change a registry key. I'm not sure what we're doing though, as what I know about computers could fit on the back of a sugar packet, so I'll just wait for further instruction.

A.X.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Sorry im screwing up this post :) I'm having a hard day :)

Sorry for all this, Are you using a Dell by any chance? Or a Broadcom adapter for your Internet use?

AgentXu

AgentXu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hey, no worries. If it were up to me to fix this thing on my own flames would probably be shooting out of the ports already. This is a Dell M1530. Under Network Adapters in Device Manager I have listed Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card and Marvell Yukon 88E88040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet COntroller. I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for but no where in this list does the word "Broadcom" appear.

I hope your day improves. I find over indulgence in food helps sometimes :)

A.X.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Haha thanks for that, im going to have an Ice cream day I think :)

The reason i asked was because of one of your error reports:

The BCM42RLY service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Its basically saying that a service is failing because the file doesn't exist.
The BCM42RLY service is related to Broadcom adapters. Im just thinking that on shutdown this is hanging and is failing to shutdown and therefore restarting.

Lets try something else first.

Click Here to go to your Wireless driver download page and update the driver.

Then just to check:
Go Start > Run and type in "msconfig
Go along to the services tab and look for BCM42RLY
Close that now.
If you have no Run button Click Here

Also go Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
In that list look for the following: BCM42RLY, BroadcomXXX (it wont have 3 X's on but if it has broadcom in the name)
If its there right click and choose Stop.
Then try shutting down.
Remember what you have stopped

You internet may stop working and if it does carry on and try shutting down. Then they should have started again when you load up.
If not then just right click and choose start.

Then tell me the results.

Edited by rev_olie, 18 August 2009 - 06:22 AM.