Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

16GB flash drive wont work in Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Been a while.

I got a 16gb thumbdrive (Kingston Data Traveler 100) which i can read from, as well as write small (KB) files to. When i try to transfer/copy larger ones (3MB) the copying screen gets stuck, showing the "Calculating time remaining" bit. This happens on my Compaq CQ40 310au laptop.

I've tried the thumbdrive on my XP desktop, XP office machine, as well as on another laptop running Vista, and it works fine. I was able to copy 2GB worth of files to it using the laptop running Vista. I've tried reformatting the drive, and still no joy.

I'm well and truly stumped. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
These drives are usually formatted FAT32.
FAT32 formatted drives can only use file sizes up to 4Gb in size and no more.
This is not a Vista issue.

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Thanks. I'm just stumped as to why it works on XP machines, as well as another laptop running Vista.

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
help, anyone?