Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installation Freeze

• Please log in to reply

syllacrostics

syllacrostics

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have followed the instructions for this site to repair my windows files to attempt to stop an error I was having with booting (black screen appeared instead of the blue windows welcome screen). The first part of the installation went alright. When the computer was restarted it took me to the Windows Installation screen. The 'Installing Devices' continued until about 3/4 of the way done when I got a pop up telling me that the software I was installing for : Intel ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A39 had not passed Windows Logo testing. I pressed yes to continue the installation and then another pop up appeared this time telling me it was the Intel ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A3A that had not passed the Logo testing. Again I pressed yes. When a third pop up appeared, this time the same as the first I went to press yes but this time the computer had frozen. The installation now is no longer progressing and I am stuck with this pop up on the screen. I have tried restarting the process and pressing no, but I still end up frozen on this third pop up. When I purchased the computer, Windows XP Home was already partially installed and so I have never encountered this problem before.

- thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Windows XP Home was already partially installed

What do you mean this?

Is there DATA you need to save and that is why you are doing a Repair instead of a full fresh Installation?
Is this a Genuine Microsoft XP disk?
Please post some computer information:
Make and Model
Hd total space and free space
Total memory

This will all help in formulating a plan of resolution for you.

syllacrostics

syllacrostics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Windows XP Home was already partially installed
I am by no means fully tech savvy, when I bought the computer I put together the HD and the memory and video card etc.. I am assuming the installation was partially done since I haven't seen this error before and I have not made any hardware changes to the computer since I bought it

I was perfiorming a Repair operation in order to correct the boot files which seemed to be causing a problem randomly during some boots (in other words I could boot successfully but only after retrying a one or even a few times. this might not have been a huge problem but I wanted to reduce the risk of the computer not booting properly ever)

There is a lot of data that I would rather not lose on my HD. THe disc is genuine, it was the one supplied with the computer.

HD total space is 500Gb
HD free space is 11GB or abouts
My total memory is 4GB

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this the guide you were using to do the repair HERE?

syllacrostics

syllacrostics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have now found the disc is genuine

Edited by syllacrostics, 16 August 2009 - 11:38 AM.

syllacrostics

syllacrostics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, that was the guide I used to repair and I followed all of the steps given exactly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first we need to make sure your data is safe.
Please follow the next steps to do this and then we can proceed.

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

syllacrostics

syllacrostics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have finally gotten the disc burnt - the computer I am using now is not in a good state either and apparently CDs can only be burnt from the admin account - although it never actually tells you that.
I am confused about how to operate the program. I have gotten to the Loading Kernel Modules.. but it doesn't seem to progress from there. Have I not given it enough time?? or am I supposed to be entering something??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Give it time.
Once it boots into Puppy Linux you will have a desktop

syllacrostics

syllacrostics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Great. How much time is considered necessary??? Thanks I'll keep you posted

syllacrostics

syllacrostics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
After waiting about 10 minutes for the Kernel Modules to load I ended up trying the program on this computer, and it loaded almost instantly. So it's not a problem with the disc. I have come to the conclusion that the program won't work on my computer and I have done some searching and found it is the same for some others. Is there any alternative program I can use to access my files??

- thanks