Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't find Drivers

• Please log in to reply

Tahim79

Tahim79

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,

My brother's cpu had a lot of junk on it and was filled up with viruses, so I decided to re-format it for him.
But now I've been at it for 3 days trying to find drivers.
He has a HP Pavilion a1320.
I'm just new to this so please bare with me if my statements don't make any sense.

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and select your OS system.
From there it should take you to all the original drivers for the system.
Let us know how this works for you.

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thankyou for the reply

I was there. That was the first place I checked.
What i did was a fresh install of xp pro sp2, which then updated to a sp3.
I tried as many as I could. I just don't know what else to do.
I have no sound,
there are yellow question marks by
Audio device on high definition audio bus
PCI simple Communications contoller
SM bus controller
unknown device

The only driver that worked from that site was the VGA Controller.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is there another way to get drivers from another cpu?
I've tried these device detective apps and other finding apps but nothing is working for me

Thank you

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The correct way to install drivers on a new install is...

Install the OS
Install the SM Bus controller driver (CHIPSET DRIVER)
Install all other drivers in any order.

The SM Bus controller driver is the driver that helps the processor communicate with the motherboard. Many times, without this driver, a lot of other components won't even get detected, or not get detected correctly.

Install the SM Bus Controller, but make sure its the correct one. Your model number doesn't show up in the list of models for the 1000 series HP's. Did you type it correctly, or are any letters missing that you didn't include?

EDITED... the SM Bus Controller driver is also known as the Chipset driver.

Edited by makai, 16 August 2009 - 01:10 PM.

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have is HP Pavilion a1320n. Sorry I forgot the "n".
I don't have any other cd's beside a copy of XP.
We were looking the driver disk but I think that's gone.

I've tried to install numerous drivers.
I've spent 72 hrs surfing the net, googling trying to find the appropriate drivers or even something compatitable to it.

I don't even know what these drivers are for, so thanks for giving me some info in the last post.

I can't find anything.

This is some of the info I have it makes a difference or not:
HP Pavilion a1320n
Intel P 4 306 ghz
960mb ram

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go HERE and look down the list. Look for the heading "Original Drivers" and download the Spring 2006 Original ATI Chipset Drivers and save it to your desktop.

After downloading it, double click on the downloaded file. Drivers from OEM manufactures (like Dell, IBM, HP, etc) are normally compressed applications that will create a folder to uncompress the driver. When it does this, it may prompt you to save, or create a folder for the uncompressed files, or it may do it automatically and just ask you if it's ok. If it does this, try to remember where the folder is located as you may have to go there to actually install the drivers. Sometimes, the application will just uncompress and start the install. If it doesn't, then locate the folder for the particular driver and look for the "setup" or "install" application and double click on it.

Install the chipset driver and let me know if Device manager no longer shows an exclamation or question mark for the SM bus controller.

Edited by makai, 16 August 2009 - 02:38 PM.

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually had this downloaded. But I didn't install it! I thought It just installed it self.
Well I had to install it thru device manager and then I updated all of the other ones.
There is one more left which is a unknown device which still has the yellow question mark.
I don't know if that's important or not?

But if it isn't then that's cool.

Thank you very much guys!!!!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The missing driver has probably to do with the front panel IO port... the one with all the slots for differnent cards. The driver is most likely made by Texas Instruments, but a lot of OEM PC manufactures don't list it on their driver page as the driver is normally on the Driver CD they supply. I'll have to hunt around for the driver so you can try it. I'll do some research, and get back to you. I may even have a dell CD that may have the driver. I'll check and get back to the thread.

UPDATE EDIT

I was unable to locate the Cardbus driver for your machine. I advise you contact HP and tell them you lost your Driver CD and that you need the driver for the IO Controller Ports at the front of your PC. Explain that the IO ports are for Smart media cards, Compact Flash, etc. They should know what you're talking about once you tell them your HP Model number a1320n.

If they can't help you, then let me know (PM me) and I'll dig even deeper.

I'm at least very glad that you got the machine running 99%... not to mention you learned something here didn't you! :)

Edited by makai, 16 August 2009 - 03:34 PM.

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have learned alot. Thanks!
I will contact HP and see what they say.
Today is Sunday, So tommarow I will call and get back to you by the evening.
Thanks Once again!!!

I Actually Just called them and they are not willing to help me. It's is out dated and not under warrenty but they are willing to send me a recovery disk for a price of $50.00 and shipping. I even talked to a on-line tech and he as well wanted money for 1 simple driver.

So I'm gonna try to find something as well and then we can make a decision.

I remember when a couple of yrs ago I had do to re-install. I by accident used my ACER recovery disk for my other machine. The front of the this machine worked. So i'm thinking of maybe going on my other computer and seeing what it is and then install that driver. WHO KNOWS??????

Thanks and I'll be waiting for a response and if I do get it to work I will let u know.

Edited by Tahim79, 16 August 2009 - 04:33 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're welcome. Keep me posted!

Advertisements

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Well that didn't work at all. I tried to get my acer driver to work and it didn't. Well I'll keep looking.

Oh and I edited my other post before this one. I hope you've seen it.

Edited by Tahim79, 16 August 2009 - 04:43 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I may be able to find a driver from someone at work. I repaired her computer once and sort of remember the same type of "look" of her front panel compared to yours. It looked very similar... if memory serves. In fact, I may have several friends with similar computers. Let me check tomorrow and I'll get back to you. By the way, try not to use other manufactures (like Acer) drivers. Drivers sometimes corrupt other drivers by replacing their files. It could lead to problems you won't even know about until later on.

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok sounds good! I won't attempt to do something stupid. I'll continue to look around as well and we'll chat tommarow. Thanks once again!

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
After alittle bit of [bleep]ing and complaining, HP send me out an e-mail with 4 different links to download the driver.
It specifies that it is the correct driver, but after installing it, of course doesn't make a difference.
SO were back to square one.
I'm gonna send them another e-mail, but I think that's all they got.

So I guess lets keep looking.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Can you supply the links HP sent?