Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't find Drivers

• Please log in to reply

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Update did NOT complete successfully.
[bleep]! I'm not having any luck.
I have an idea - what if I was to pop in the windows XP install CD again and try to maybe do some sort of a repair?
What do you think?
Should I do it?
I have created a System Restore point.
Would I be able to access that restore point even if I was to go thru with it?
Maybe Safe mode would allow me to do it?

What do u think? Good Idea or not?

Thanks

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Which update didn't complete? Installation of the HP software, or was it when the software tried to update your machine?

A Windows repair won't do. Windows doesn't know about the driver, that's why it's an unknown in Device manager.

Let me think about this tonight. I have to wake up early (work at 1:00am), so need to get some sleep. I'll get back here tomorrow.

We'll either nail this, or I'll run away! Just kidding! :)

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Oh man you should get some shut eye!
I downloaded the update and when installing it, it installed and then stated the was not completed. SO the update didn't complete.

Thanks dude very much for you time and efforts.

I still don't understand that when I accidently put in my acer recovery for my other machine, the mass storage (card device, USB) WORKED!!!!!

And now after a reinstall of a fresh copy of XP it's gone.
I'm gonna do some more research also and I will wait for your decision!

Thanks again.

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
So i decided to watch a movie after some more useless investigating. So I plugged in my s-video cable in the back of this computer, got the wife and kid ready to watch and guess what!!!!! - No signal on the other end.
NOW I'M PISSED.

My acer is screwed(won't stay on for more than 5mins).
This pavilion is shot as well.

Now I assume this non s-video working has to do with this driver issue?
It worked before. Cloned what was on the monitor to the TV.

I had a crazy idea i wanted to run by you.
What if I was to use my acer recovery like last time. But last time was a complete accident.
So if I use that disk, have my usb ports working, and then go into device manager and uninstall and install the actual drivers?

Now is this safe or is this walking on thin ice?
can this be done?
And if it doesn't work and something happens, I'll do a fresh Install again.

Yes, No?

Talk to you tommarow.
Thanks.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
At this point, it looks like nothing can hurt. You have enough experience now to install so I don't see a problem if you have to reinstall again.

I'll keep looking for an answer to the Device manager problem in the meantime, but it doesn't look promising.

Let me know how it goes!

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Well I did the acer recovery and wow it worked! I got my mass storage device driver!
But now I've forgotten how to get some of the other drivers.
I installed most of them except for the PCI Device.
I forgot what that is.
I also have another unknown device again.
This time it's different (Duh ofcourse)
I'm gonna fiddle around some more and see if I can find those two.

Okay I got one of them installed via automatic updates. It was the audio definition or something like that. I got one more left.
I should know this one but I don't know why it's not coming to me.
It's the "PCI standard ISA bridge" Code #28 it says beside it also.
and here's some detail if this helps
ACPI\AWY0001\4&1EC577C0&0

Thank you!!

Edited by Tahim79, 23 August 2009 - 01:38 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I'm not quite sure why you think it worked. Why do you think you were missing your mass storage device driver? According to post #22 of this thread, Unknown Device Identifier pegged the "PCI standard ISA bridge" as the only missing driver before you recovered with the Acer software. You're still missing the PCI standard ISA bridge.

Can you post a photo of Device manager again. Expand any item that has an exclamation or question mark.

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
HAHAHAHA! I kind of got excited there. I forgot that the main thing we were looking for was this specific driver.
But here's one snapshot

Attached Thumbnails

• abcde.JPG

Edited by Tahim79, 23 August 2009 - 01:21 PM.

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Here's some more info if it makes a difference.

Attached Thumbnails

• abc.JPG

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Reseach on google indicates that the unknown device might be caused by a bios setting. This setting can be enabled or disabled and has to do with power management... "Away" setting. Disabling won't cause any harm. Have you ever worked in the bios before? It's not difficult, but I have to ask in case I have to direct you and I want to know how much direction you'll need. Note that if you make the wrong bios changes, your computer may not boot and you'll need to pull the bios battery to get it back to defaults so it'll boot again.

I'll also need time to research you bios screens since I don't own a dell. Hopefully I can find the required information.

Edited by makai, 23 August 2009 - 01:46 PM.

Advertisements

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
what the heck is a bios???
If you found it googling, then i can find it too.
I'll see if there are any instructions to do this. Save you some time.
But if this doesn't do anything- then why bother?
But yeah I see now that on startup it is really sticks out like a sore thumb.
So I guess I will need direction please!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Bios...
When your computer starts up, the bios handles the bootup where it talks to all the other devices, and checks them, before handing the rest of the bootup to the OS. When you bootup, you should see a bunch of information scrolling on the screen... ie, checking memory, hard drives, etc. This is the bios information. Sometimes this information is hidden from the user with a Logo splash screen, so you may or may not see the information I'm speaking about.

But if this doesn't do anything- then why bother?

I actually considered this and was going to mention it in my last post. And true, your computer will probably run just fine without this driver... mostly because it's not really a driver, but rather, its just that Windows "thinks" it missing.

If you want to just leave it as is, let me know. I'm tenacious in nature, so if it were my machine, I definitely couldn't stand it! :)

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
okay! Lets do it then!
We've come this far, why not finish it off?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, but, I have to get to bed tonight as I work early tomorrow. I'll do some research about your bios and get back here tomorrow and hopefully clean this up.

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thank you very much. You won't even begin to imagine what this means to me!