Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start Menu

• Please log in to reply

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Last year, HP had me reset my router, (by pushing a paper-clip in the reset hole), to gain connectivity to the web on my wife's new laptop because the router was pass phrase protected by the guy who set it up and I didn't know the PW and he left town.

After gaining web access on the new laptop, I lost web connectivity on my wifes PC,
so I let it sit for a year, just using the laptop.

In Staples the other day, their IT Tech told me I could regain web access with a wireless-G USB 2.0 Adapter.

Bought one, installed it, and EUREKA! the web was back on her PC.

After that, I applied the last, (of 3), keys, to install Norton 2009 Internet Security on her PC.

Then, I set about uninstalling all the freeware security programs no longer needed since I have Norton.

Lastly, I ran Windows Advanced System Care and Smart Defrag to clean up the Drive and discs.

Seemingly, although a little slow, the PC seems OK except for my last problem.

Before, last year, when I clicked, Start/Turn Off Computer, the window that appeared offered me 3 options:

Stand-by
Turn Off
Restart

Now, only Turn Off and Restart are options.

I lost Stand-by

I've been all over the web, and every solution offered either doesn't work or the options they suggest I choose are not offered as options to me.

It's not the biggest problem in the world, but I used Stand-by at night for a quick start in the morning, and Turning Off takes quite a bit longer for everything to re-boot.

Any assistance you can render would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188134