Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows XP explorer crashes

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, The short of it is the explorer is crashing. Not the internet explorer, or the windows explorer, but the explorer that is my desktop and taskbar.

The following things I know.

The desktop is replaced by a file that reads from c:\desktop.
I know this, because when I delete or place icons into this directory they magically appear on my desktop.

I have done the following.
Taken an installed XP on a new hard drive and loaded Kaspersky virus software.
Run the virus software on the old xp disk. It had a few virus, but now runs clean.
I also ran LavaSoft Adware on the old xp disk, it also runs clean.
At the moment I can only run firefox internet service without problems. (That is until the system becomes so unstable it freezes dead.)

When I first sign on, I can start programs through the Start menu, but about 25 minutes in this is no longer possible, but I can start programs through task manager.

When I close a program the last screen stays. New programs can be moved around the screen to create all sorts of cool patterns.

What happened in the past, I had some trojan/virus that placed a danger:spyware screen on the computer, following some hodge podge of directions I recovered my desktop, the ability to change display items, and to change the background. I still can not change user settings, reinstall my sound card (which windows thinks is functioning fine, but isn't working at all) there is no sound card in the sound control panel.

What else. I originally had a topic in Malware, but the gentleman helping me- said he was sending me to the lavasoft group, but just deleted my topic.

At this point I really just want to know what is happening. How can my desktop be replaced by this file, why can't I access the user control panel or my sound card?

I suspect it is in part my registry is corrupted and in part that some dll or exe has been replaced.

I would post a hijackthis log, but it is not very easy to get anything to run on the other computer for long.

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
plz do check whether C:\desktop is a shortcut to ur desktop folder and if the desktop folder under docs and settings still exists!

+ dont think the prb is with ur software - it might be because ur system cant take the load or is getting heated very fast - plz do add ur sys config if u can! check ur cooling system. - its just a hypothesis!

plz let me know if
*the system is ok on ur new xp installation
*u have tried to repair ur old installation
*u run any software that requires a heavy system

-- hope i can be of help! :tazz: