Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New motherboard refuses to detect my hard drive.

• Please log in to reply

RoboDinoTechnisaurus

RoboDinoTechnisaurus

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your time, everyone...

So basically, I've just been given a second-hand motherboard that came with a 10GB harddrive and a stick of 512MB RAM. The reason I got it was because it wasn't running.

I took the RAM off it and replaced it with my own 512MB stick. Once I had put on my own video card, DVD-ROM, and the aforementioned RAM, it boots fine, and can run with the 10GB harddrive with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

However, if I hook up the 80GB harddrive that was on my oiginal rig, it boots right up until it starts the Windows logo loading screen, at which point it blue screens and then immediately reboots before I can even get the chance to read the bluescreen error code!

I've tried booting from a Windows CD with both harddrives plugged in separately, but it comes up with an error even then! (STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error: \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll)

If I try hooking up both harddrives at the same time (on the same ribbon), the BIOS is only able to detect the 10GB harddrive, and then it won't boot up at all.

If anyone can help me that would be awesome because I really don't want to have to run off a 10GB harddrive... Thanks so much everyone.

Here are some stats, if they're necessary:

Motherboard: ASUS P4S800-MX

CPU: Intel Celeron 2.4GHz

10GB harddrive: Fujitsu MPD3108AT

80GB harddrive: Samsung SP0802N

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
Click Enter to disable it
The system should reboot and if not then do so.
When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

As you were told on the other website you posted this question, the 80 gb hdd will never boot on that system due to the major differences in mobo drivers.

At the very least, you will need to run a "repair" on that hdd to have it recognized and usable.

Latly, if your XP cd is OEM (came with a different computer), then you can't legally use that one either and you will need to purchase a new version of XP.

Murray

RoboDinoTechnisaurus

RoboDinoTechnisaurus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, so I had no idea that different motherboards needed diferent drivers. That's new to me. Cool, thanks. Also, it looks like I'll have to buy a new copy of XP.

Thanks for your help, guys. I'll get back to you later if I still have issues.