Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is this?

• Please log in to reply

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
So, this morning I decided to attempt the horrific task of cleaning my room.. which included finally organizing a large box of wires and cables and stuff - which were completely mixed up and tied together.(I should have took a before picture, it would have scared you guys!)

After atleast two hours, I've gotten this far -

Posted Image

And I have no idea what this is!!

Posted Image
(sorry if the pic is blurry)

It's obviously a dock of some sort, too thin for a phone though. There are no words on the thing, only this little symbol - I drew it, since it blends in. (I'm not a great artist, so don't say anything... xd)
Posted Image

and than one little button with a plus sign on the very bottom.

If I don't figure out what it is, I'll probably just toss it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

-Jason

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, I'll bite! But first off... is the second picture the same item as in the first picture in the upper left?

If it is, looking at the first picture, it almost looks like some kind of ipod docking station. At least, what appears as a connector jutting out of it in the first picture, looks like an ipod connector.

How's about posting more detailed photos?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hi,

Yes, it is the same item as in the upper left. That's actually probably the most detailed picture isn't it.. haha. It does kind of look like an IPOD docking station.. only this thing is like ancient. Probably before Ipods existed? And it's not USB.

Here's some more pictures..

Posted Image

the port, not sure what it's called, but familiar:

Posted Image

Thanks for the response!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
That cable has a serial (RS232 type) connector. By the way, hows about a photo of the connector on the device itself... if in fact it is a connector.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

hows about a photo of the connector on the device itself..

This is what it's got..
Posted Image

Maybe we're getting somewhere! :) Thanks so far.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ever had a PDA? like...an OLD PDA? palm pilot or something like that? possibly a mobile barcode scanner or something like that?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is there a part number on the bottom of the device? Maybe try a google search for that if there is one.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Definitely some sort of docking station for something portable. Probably not much larger than a home phone judging by the size and slope of the device face, and contact pins. Serial connection, definitely older technology for data transfer. No idea!

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Alright - I've got some free time, I'me gonna go hardcore on this.. =P I've reinspected the device, and noticed the only numbers on the outside, are on the cord itself..

Posted Image
The numbers in order, (which seem to have no use at all to anything in the entire world) are:

0017-1f 02-0043-01 REV C1

The bottom is completely empty, other than the five black grips, and like this circular logo.. which I can't make out..!
Posted Image
I'm going to open this thing up, so I can get that logo.. and see if there is anything on the tiny board inside.

Another thing: I've just realized this might not be mine. At one point or another, I got some computer parts and junk from this guy who was hauling out stuff. I have a funny feeling it just happened to get thrown in here, when I took stuff. I can't remember any old PDA's we've ever had.. (A.K.A. my parents are hippes :) )

Time to get out that screwdriver!

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
After finding the hidden screws located under the grip pads..

Posted Image

I got it open! Wow that so called "logo" was helpful..

Posted Image

Here's the board from the outside. I'm pretty sure I can figure out what is now, just need a little help from Google :) I really don't care about this at all, but it's more of a puzzle now. :)

Posted Image

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Well, it's proving to be harder than it looks.. I can't seem to find out exactly what it is. My best guess right now, is as said by dsenette:

possibly a mobile barcode scanner

I know it:

has a Sipex SP3232ECT transceiver.
uses a Serial (RS232 type) connector.
was made in 2000.

I obviously don't have the other part, so I may have looked over it, but not seen the dock, as they don't show them in most pictures. If anyone wants to give this further thought or has anything to add, take a look at these pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

the P/N number is 03-0080-00, but I can't find much with it. Haven't seen the Posted Image anywhere online. But anyways - I've solved my question. I really doubt I'll ever use it! :) Thanks for everybody's help!

-Jason

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

hehehe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what it is!!!!!

hehehe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

By the way, that round logo is a casting clock, I believe. I think they use it so they know what time they poured/casted the piece.

Edited by makai, 19 August 2009 - 02:17 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so what is it

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do you really want to know??? :)

Ok... I was going to hold out for a while, but... since we're friends... and since you were the one that guessed it correctly...

It's a.... ..... ..... ..... PDA cradle.

More specifically, it's a Handspring Visor cradle... serial version. This thing is still being sold at places like Amazon.com, although in USB form. But, with the advent of all the newer technology in mobile phones, and mini computers, I have to wonder who still uses PDAs? Judging from the prices on Ebay for these cradles, it doesn't look good for PDA futures... at least not for Handspring!

Do many people still use PDAs? I've been out of that world for a long time so I really don't know anymore.

And yes, it took quite a bit of searching to finally find it!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i KNEW that logo looked familiar...